We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Tucson or Tombstone?

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Old Tucson or Tombstone?

We are planning a trip in the spring to Tucson with two lower elementary age kids. Which one would you say is better to visit - Old Tucson or Tombstone? Or should we do both? It seems from research they offer the same types of things......

Thanks for your help. Any other sights we shouldn't miss, please include!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

Old Tucson is a movie set / theme park but does have things to interest young children. It offers a few different rides for kids. Pretty expensive to get in.

Tombstone is the real thing, even though very commercialized. Doesn't really cater to kids, but they might enjoy riding the stagecoach around town while the driver points out historic buildings.

Must-see:

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Kartchner Caverns

For more to see and do, check my blog:

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

Edited: 20 September 2012, 20:47
Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

if you have time and are so inclined, i'd visit both.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

forgot to mention, you might also enjoy the titan missile silo museum:

http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,393 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

Old Tucson as noted is a movie set. Reenactments such as gunfights do not take place every day. It is wise to call them and find out what they are offering before going there. It's also expensive as noted.

Tombstone is the real town from the late 19th century, much of it like it was then. Reenactments take place in the afternoon. The websites change so I suggest searching. Tombstone is free. There is an interesting museum in the old courthouse.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

If you have time, do both.

Also endorse visits to Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Kartchner Caverns. There are facets of both that should get the kids' attention.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

We have done both and Old Tucson was our favorite.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

I'd also recommend both, but if I had time to just re-visit one of the them, I'd go for Tucson, especially with kids.

And I also highly recommend Kartchner Caverns

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

Part of it depends on how much time you have and exactly where you are staying. You could combine Old Tucson with a visit to the Desert Museum and easily do both in one day. Tombstone will require an hour and a half to two hours drive each way, so you'll spend a lot more time driving. But if you decide to do that, you can probably work in Kartchner Caverns on the same day.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

I have been to both. I would say the kids would enjoy Old Tucson the best. My husband and I are in our 60's and we also enjoyed it alot. Tombstone is a long drive each way.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Tucson or Tombstone?

Just so this doesn't get lost in the noise - take your kids to the Desert Museum - trust us. Have fun!