We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U of A football game questions

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
334 reviews
Save Topic
U of A football game questions

Coming from out of town for the October 27th football game. Where is best place to park for the game?

Looking for pregame tailgating options. I understand that actual tailgating is limited on the campus and even if we could get a pass it isa bit spendy. So what are other options for bars or restaurants close by?

Thanks.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,246 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U of A football game questions

Frankly parking is awful for a game. For tailgating, do you have local friends?

Getting parking anywhere means arriving early. All parking at the UofA on the east side of campus will be reserved for the game. There is a parking garage close to the stadium, but again get there early.

Most of the parking in neighborhoods to the south and east will be marked parking by residential permit only, and the fine is $250, so look carefully. One sign in a block marks the whole block unless signs have arrows and say "between these signs." I park east of campus and north of 2nd St on side streets, but I make sure I am not in a permit zone, and I arrive several hours early to join my family for tailgating.

There are restaurants and bars at the corner of 6th St and Campbell in Sam Hughes Place which is close by (don't park there for the game). Across from the stadium on 6th St is Zendejas which is a popular gathering place for pre-game eating and drinking owned by one of UofA's past great kickers.

Last resort for parking is a few miles away with a shuttle to the stadium operating 2 hours before and 45 minutes after the game.

explorernews.com/sports/article_cb194f32-ee3…

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U of A football game questions

Hi Bob - thanks for the reply and info. When you say get there early - how early do you recommend? I believe game kick off is at 12:30 p.m.

No we don't know anyone who is going/tailgating - so we are on our own (there will be 6 of us in our group).

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: U of A football game questions

Tailgating permits are pricey, and serving alcohol is not a given: it's an additional permit and requires hiring someone to check IDs and a licensed bartender to serve drinks. I've never thought it was worth it. They're very serious about it at UA. I've only been to one tailgating event and it was put on by my employer.

I'm not sure what you intend to do with tailgating if you're not tailgating yourself, but I'm not much of a tailgater. Maybe you can just walk up and get someone to let you in.

I would pick the bars on University over the ones close to the stadium on 6th/Campbell. They're just better. Another option though is Bob Dobbs at the corner of Tucson and 6th. They see a ton of pre-football people and it's not a bad walk. Just west of Tucson Boulevard is the end of the residential parking restriction zone (or was recently, at least). You just need to watch the signs carefully and not block alleys or driveways. They'll definitely be out ticketing in that area. If University looks better to you, note that meters, garages and even the UA permit spots (except for reserved spots and when marked as 24-hour enforcement) are free on the weekends unless they're taking money at the entrance. Looks like Park Avenue Garage is the only free garage left though (Main Gate and Tyndall used to be open). Shuttle info on the link as well: parking.arizona.edu/parking/football.php

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
San Diego
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U of A football game questions

thanks. I've been to Bob Dobbs before - it's been YEARS since we have been to a game in Tucson - but once I saw that name I remembered the place.

However we used to take a bus from the Tucson mall and it looks like they don't offer that service anymore.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Tucson Mall
Tucson Mall
102 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U of A football game questions

Yes, they used to offer a few different shuttles but it's just one now, at Hi-Corbett.

You could also just ride the public bus. That's what I did when I went to the only game I've ever been to. It's $1.25 one-way. The traffic getting out, particularly getting out of the garages, is awful after a game.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: U of A football game questions

Bummer that they discontinued the other shuttle places. I remember it was quite easy to get to the game and return.

Thanks for the info.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,246 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: U of A football game questions

Tailgating rules at UofA have changed in recent years. Beer and wine are allowed, but no hard alcohol, and no bartender or separate permit required. Alcohol consumption has to stop at kickoff. Of course no one underage can be served.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: U of A football game questions

Do you know if you can tailgate in the parking structures?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: U of A football game questions

No. There's a public drinking law in Arizona. On UA property gets you another ticket. It's a dry campus.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,246 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: U of A football game questions

It's a dry campus except for designated tailgating areas which are all over the mall in the middle of the U and parking areas on the south of Speedway. Get friendly and meet some folks who are tailgating. At the corner of Campbell and 3rd St, where the mall begins and goes west, there will be tailgaters on both sides of the street. There will be USC tailgaters out there as well. There is likely a USC gathering area.