We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
35 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

Hello all:

Wife and I are planning a long post Valentine's Day weekend to the Tucson area and beyond (first time) the weekend of 2/15 - 2/18. We'll be driving (just the two of us, but would like to take our little 10 lb. dog with us) from Scottsdale and was hoping to fit in the following:

Friday: A.M. Drive from Scottsdale to Tucson proper (hotel tbd, maybe JW Marriott). Walk around downtown Tucson (?, never been). Dinner and a show perhaps at the Gaslight Theater (if I can get tix).

Saturday: Drive to San Xavier Mission first thing in a.m. Then proceed to Tubac (festival taking place this weekend). Hang out in Tubac thru lunch or so. Then drive to Patagonia / Sonoita area perhaps for some wine tasting. Either find a B&B down there (preferred), or drive back to Tucson later that evening.

Sunday: Drive to Tombstone, do the wild west thing for a bit, and then head to Bisbee. Check out the galleries and funkiness of Bisbee, and either stay there or again drive back to Tucson for the night.

Monday: Drive up to Mt. Lemmon, maybe hike a bit if it makes sense, and head back to Scottsdale.

OK, too much or what? I'll research B&B's in these areas, but in general, does this sound like a nice weekend? We enjoy the driving, and just soaking up the local feel wherever we get out of the car. Would prefer not to do the return trips to Tucson on Sat and Sun, but could use Tucson as home base if it makes sense. Also, finding pet friendly places not always that easy, so any advice on that would be appreciated. Thanks all!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

Sounds good to me. Going to San Xavier and Tubac, and then on to Patagonia and the Elgin/Sonoita area might be a bit too much for one day. To get to Patagonia, you will have to go south to Nogales, get off I-19 when first entering Nogales, south to intersection with Hwy 82 and north. Don't be fooled by any cross country roads you might see on maps or GPS from or near Tubac ..... they are bad dirt roads.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

Stay in Patagonia/Sonoita area on Saturday rather than returning to Tucson. That way you will be close to Tombstone/Bisbee on Sunday. Check Sierra Vista for B&Bs for Saturday night if nothing available in Patagonia or Sonoita.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,283 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

There is lodging in Sierra Vista ... I would push on to Bisbee for the night & visit Tombstone(if you must) & Kartchner Caverns on the Tucson, back haul ... carracar

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

Since it's such a busy time in Tucson with higher-than-average hotel rates, you may want to consider staying in Sonoita and Bisbee for your time out there. Check the hotel rates. I like being able to leave stuff in the room instead of the car, but not if it gets really expensive.

I don't know that hiking would be best at Mount Lemmon right now because of the snow. If there's not much snow on the ground, then it will be very muddy. If you want to hike, there are a number of trails in the basin to take, as the weather will be more pleasant as well (Mount Lemmon has had lows in the teens). Plus, it's a really long drive.

There are a number of threads on here that detail hiking trails but, just to suggest a few that you can research: Douglas Spring, Pima Canyon, Ventana Canyon and Wasson Peak. As it's such a busy time of year, you will need to reach the trailheads early to secure a parking spot. Parking is free at all of the trailheads I mention, but it gets very busy, particularly on weekends in the spring.

Sounds nice though. Keep your plans fluid so that you don't rush anything and you'll have a good time.

Hope that helps.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
35 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

Thanks to all for the quick and kind responses:

Bob, thx for the tip on getting to Patagonia from Tubac. Yes, my Google Map didn't point out it was taking me on a rutted dirt road!

Agree ABigGuy, going to try and find a nice B&B in Patagonia / Sonoita / Elgin maybe for both Saturday and Sunday nights (will look at Sierra Vista and other alternatives as well).

Carracar, I sense that Tombstone isn't your favorite place to spend time? (: We've never been there, so this will be our first, and only, time there most likely!

ColinAZ, thx for tip on Mt Lemmon. Will probably hold off on the hiking and just drive thru. And yes, the plan is to be as fluid as possible and just go with the flow.

Initial look at hotels / B&B's doesn't show much availability, so have to get on that pretty quick. Thx again to all!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

A litttle late...but.....we live in Oro Valley and were just in the downtown area....it is VERY Busy and will be even more so next weekend when the main show for Tucson Gem and Mineral Show is on. It's a very busy time of year with the highest hotel prices of any time. Not really much to see in downtown.

Mt. Lemmon, we see it from our house and there's plenty of snow, more new yesterday morning.

San Xavier.....special place.

Tombstone......very touristy.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
35 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

Thx Gypsytwo. I hear you about downtown Tucson. We may just bag the Tucson night and head straight to either Tubac or Patagonia / Sonoita, or even Bisbee and work our way backwards. I also hear everyone(!) about Tombstone, but having not been there before, gotta do it once now that I'm an AZ citizen. I promise we'll make it a quick stop! Thx for the feedback.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

David,

I have lived here for 46 years and STILL enjoy going to Tombstone. Yes, it is touristy, but that is the only industry. But it is also very historical and you will enjoy walking the same streets that the famous (and infamous) old West characters walked. Make it more than a quick stop.

Must-see in Tombstone:

Boot hill, just on the north outskirts of town

Bird Cage Theater -- do pay the fee for a self-guided tour.

Courthouse

Also,

The Goodenough Mine tour is pretty interesting

Don't bother paying to go into the OK Corral, not worth it.

Look for the storyboards along the sidewalks that tell about the buildings and people. A few also mention people who were shot at that location.

Crystal Palace Saloon or Big Nose Kates are a couple of places for a cool drink -- also very interesting.

All in all, a most interesting town if you can look past the shops.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 21:27
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

I thought the Tubac art show was this past weekend...

10. Re: Four Day Weekend Itinerary: Too Much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 05:15