We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
long island
Level Contributor
457 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

Going to be in the Tucson area in mid October. We are looking to stay at a resort that has golfing, good food, good rooms, and views of the mountains and city. Which one would fit my ideas?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

I think Loews Ventana Canyon fits better than El Con, with views of the mountains and city. For food, they only have a casual restaurant, Flying V. But there are several restaurants at Sunrise and Kolb, less than a mile away. El Con has nice mountain views, but farther from the city.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
614 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

Definitely Loew's Ventana Canyon. Great place with fabulous views and wonderful service. Great location.

ZB

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

If you want to play golf on site, definitely Ventana Canyon. The El Con only has nine holes at the hotel. Their two 18 hole courses are about 4-5 miles away.

Both hotels have great mountain views, although the city views are far better at Ventana Canyon. And the views from the golf course are definitely better at Ventana. Dining options at both resorts are somewhat limited, but the El Con would have more options. There are also very good dining options within a few miles if both resorts.

Not sure if you've looked at La Paloma, but that probably fits what you're looking for even better than these two options.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

The El Con has that new restaurant that seems a litle higher end- Elote, I think they called it.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,903 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

The restaurant at the Hilton El Con is called Epazote, which is actually just as dumb a name as Elote. Elote means corn on the cob. Epazote is a bitter Mexican herb related to mint which is added to stews and beans to reduce flatulence (it works but too much can add an odd flavor that tastes a little like kerosene; use the dried seaweed kombu instead). But Tucson also has the Rillito River, the "little river river." Spanglish.

Both hotels are close to the mountains but do offer good views of Tucson's other mountain ranges. Loews is closer to more restaurants, and both are fairly distant from Tucson's most popular attractions.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 07:55
long island
Level Contributor
457 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

I went to the LOEWS website and tried to reserve golf times on four different days in October, they all came back no times are available. Is this normal for the month of October or maybe the website is not working?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

You might want to try calling to find out. I would be surprised if there are no times available.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 21:58
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

Sometimes, especially early in the month of October, many of the courses here are closed for overseeding. But usually at a place like Ventana Canyon with multiple courses, they usually do that one course at a time so they can keep at least 18 holes open. Perhaps they just aren't taking reservations that far in advance yet, but I'd do what Mike suggested and just call them.

long island
Level Contributor
457 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

I did call the Hilton and the Loews. Each resort will have only one course open in October until late October when other the one will reopen.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 23:06
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: golf resort- Loews Ventana or Hilton El conquistader

Yep - unfortunately you're coming during the time when most courses overseed to switch from summer Bermuda to winter rye.