We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rancho visitoso

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
rancho visitoso

Thinking about spending 5 days before Christmas at our timeshare here

Looks like it is 45 minutes to Tucson. So is there a town closer for restaurants?

We will be taking my two uncles in there late 70s

Any suggestions?

Looks like a day trip to tombstone and bisbee

Any Christmas activities?

What else is within a two hour drive

Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rancho visitoso

You're not be all all that remote ... There are numerous services and food service into Tucson proper...along the highway 77...Pick up the local weekly entertainment advertiser for events... carracar

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rancho visitoso

45 minutes? I don't know about that. Maybe in some thick rush hour traffic. I guess it depends on what part of Vistoso also, and what part of Tucson. The people I've known who have lived there often went up to Catalina for food, specifically to Bubb's. There are strip malls and restaurants all up and down Oracle Road though, all the way to Tangerine Road, the last turn-off for Vistoso. It's not like you'll be in the middle of no where.

Combining Tombstone and Bisbee in one day would make a very long day.

For Christmas, the big thing in town is the Winterhaven Festival of Lights: http://www.winterhavenfestival.org/

If you go, and everyone is okay with mobility, don't go on the "drive through" nights. The traffic is awful. It's much more pleasant to walk through, or take one of the hay rides.

I would check out the "Things to Do" list here at the top of the screen, because there are a ton of activities within a two hour drive. The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum should be a priority, but there's also Mission San Xavier, shopping at 4th Avenue, the Center for Creative Photography, the Pima Air & Space Museum, the Titan Missile Museum, the Arizona State Museum, and lots of hiking/walking. Christmas is a good time to be outdoors during the day, so you should at least go to Sabino Canyon. If you list what you're interested in, we can suggest more activities specific to those interests.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rancho visitoso

Thanks for info

I'm not sure how my maps came up with 45 minutes

I just read condo brochure and it said 14 miles

Good to know about walking verses driving. I will look at website

I thought tombstone and bisbee were close

Is it the activities that take a while?

We would like something Christmas theme so light show would be good

Any music?

Just basically want to lesurly walk/ drive through towns

We did San Francisco last christmas and were on the go every moment

Will there be snow at mt lemmon?

Edited: 19 September 2013, 20:55
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rancho visitoso

> I thought tombstone and bisbee were close. Is it the activities that take a while?

It takes about 2 hours to get from Tucson to Bisbee. Add another half hour or so from Vistoso. I would plan for an hour at Tombstone, so that gives you about 6 hours already without any actual time in Bisbee. I've done it before, it was just a really long day and I got back well after dark. Try to do the mine tour when you get to Bisbee, as that's really enjoyable (just not for claustrophobes).

> Any music?

I recall there being some carolers on site at Winterhaven, but I could be wrong. A lot of the displays (they're not just lights, but often full animatronic productions) feature music. You should check out the Tucson Weekly a couple of weeks before for ideas. I'm sure Oro Valley will have some sort of "night of music".

> Will there be snow at mt lemmon?

That's always the million dollar question. No way to predict it. Chances are good there will be actual snow on the ground by Christmas, but it may be an icy lump under a rock in the shade. "Real" snow is tough, because they don't open the roads right away and, when they do, there's a mad rush for it. They've had to close the road before just because so many people went up.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,799 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rancho visitoso

I endorse Colin's thoughts. Count on a very long day if trying to do both Tombstone and Bisbee, IMO Bisbee being the more worthwhile of the 2. If going on a weekend, for sure forget Tombstone as the town will be crowded and parking a problem.

There are often carolers in Winterhaven. Besides hay rides, there are also bus rides on certain nights. I don't have the details; my d-in-law makes those arrangements.

Check out the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum website closer to your visit for any special events they may be having for Christmas.

It is possible that the mine tour in Bisbee is closed. Was report of that earlier due to concerns about exposure to radon I believe. Will try to get that info and add later. Bisbee is still very worthwhile without the tour.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rancho visitoso

Good to know about tombstone.

We arrive late Wednesday night.

Figured relax Thursday

Friday a drive maybe tombstone or bisbee

Will research more and see what others want

I read there was a Sunday market I'm Tucson

Is that year round?

Is the border town nogales interesting?

Mt lemmon. Thought my husband and I could catch a day of skiing. I guess that will be decided when we are there

Thanks again

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,799 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rancho visitoso

Nogales Arizona is not interesting, and Nogales Sonora is no longer very interesting but likely safe to walk over. Snow is unpredictable. Some winters none, Some winters loads. Usually January if we have any, and often later.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rancho visitoso

As Bob said, Bisbee mine tour is supposed to close down soon because of radon levels. Work will then be done to see if the problem can be dealt with.

If you are interested in a border town, consider Naco just to the south of Bisbee. Nice town and much less hassle getting back and forth across the border.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rancho visitoso

Although you may be 45 minutes from downtown or some other areas of Tucson, there are plenty of services much closer to you. You are actually in Oro Valley there and there are plenty of restaurants in Oro Valley and as as Colin mentioned the town of Catalina, with even more restaurants, is only about 10 minutes away.

There is a Farmer's Market in Oro Valley every Saturday and that time of year there are a lot of Artist's shows in that area on the weekends, too.

You would have to be really lucky to have good conditions for skiing on Mt. Lemmon. The problem is that after a good snow the roads tend to be closed for several days and by the time the roads open, conditions are unlikely to be very good, especially that early in the winter when there hasn't been time to build a base.

The new playhouse in Oro Valley, which is actually in Rancho Vistoso, has a Christmas show which will be going on then. The reviews for their first show have been pretty good, so that would be a lot of fun and include a lot of Christmas music:

http://greatamericanplayhouse.com/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rancho visitoso

So it looks like bisbee has a copper mine tour and a silver mine tour. Which one is better?

Which one is everyone thinking is closed ?

Don't really want yo cross border. But was thinking if there was a cool border town with lots of Mexican character might be interesting for uncles

No worries on skiing if there is snow we may think about it

I have figured out there are closer towns than Tucson. So that is good to know.

Will checkout the playhouse

Thanks again

Get answers to your questions about Tucson