We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

My wife and I are traveling via car from Seattle to Tucson in mid December. We plan on two days of driving time. We have reduced our routes to two choices (potential winter driving conditions) and are seeking advice from people who have experienced this trip via car. Our choices are I-5 south to LA then I-10 to Tucson. Choice two is I-5 south to San Diego then I-8 to Tucson. We have traveled from PHX to Tucson via I-10 many times and were wondering if the San Diego route is slightly more interesting. The posted travel time difference is minimal.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,761 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

I-8 from San Diego is more interesting in the California portion than I-10. It passes through mountains where you can stop in a few mountain towns or make some scenic alternate routes without adding much time. Then passes through the Imperial Valley where a lot of the nation's winter green produce is grown. After Yuma is not very interesting, but there are probably 90% fewer semi-trailer trucks on I-8 compared to I-10 which often has more semis than cars.

seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

Very good.....thanks for the response. You are correct about the semi's on I-10.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

I prefer the landscape along I-8 over that of I-10 through Arizona. 10 goes through the flat and featureless Hassayampa Plain while 8 passes more interesting landforms. The big downside, I think, is that there is a Border Patrol checkpoint on 8 east of Yuma, and that can sometimes delay you a little. I still think it's better though. Gas in Yuma generally seems to be cheaper versus gas in Quartzsite also.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,655 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

If you wished to avoid the So. Cal Congestion ... from the I-5 turn on the 223 through Arvin to the 58 & on to Barstow...Follow the I-40 to Needles,taking the WEST side 95 down to The I-8 ... Some remote 2 lane driving that one might not wish to pass at night. enjoy, carracar

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

But of course you also can drive via Boise-Salt Lake City-Las Vegas-Phoenix (93)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

I-5 from Los Angeles to San Diego can get very congested. Also, Yuma on the weekends can be very congested with the ATV traffic going to the dunes west of Yuma. Get gas in El Centro. The last time I went through Yuma on a Sunday, there were long, long lines at every gas station.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,761 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

I don't find I-5 between LA and SD any more congested than I-10 out to Palm Springs and beyond. An alternative to go to SD would be to go inland on one of many different routes to I-15 and then south, but you miss the ocean views along I-5 and possible scenic detours along the coast.

To avoid lines at gas stations near I-8 in Yuma, go into town on the first west Yuma exit at Business 8 just past Winterhaven CA which is 4th Ave in Yuma where you will find more gas stations and lower prices. We were just in Yuma. Gas prices in CA were 50 cents more than Yuma.

If you hit Yuma around lunch time, a great new restaurant, River City Grill, is a bit expensive but really good. Only open for lunch Mon-Fri however. There are plenty of other choices at the malls north of the freeway.

8. Re: Road trip: Seattle to Tucson - suggested routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Tucson