We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help--how do locals beat the heat?

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
help--how do locals beat the heat?

i'll be in tucson this coming friday--sunday for a quick weekend trip. what do you folks do to beat the heat? It's about 98 degrees where I am now...I hear it's upwards of 115 degrees in Tucson. Any attractions that I should see and certain times? any strategies?

thanks!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

You must be looking at the Phoenix temperatures. The highs in Tucson are supposed to be around 102 through the weekend. But the humidity will be up, maybe around 35% or so. But that certainly will be much more comfortable than DC.

Day 1 -- up early and visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (opens 7:30). Then drive through Saguaro Nat'l Park West, maybe go see Old Tucson and/or the Int'l Wildlife Museum. You could also go to San Xavier del Bac Mission and maybe the Pima Air museum (part inside and part outside)

Day 2 -- Kartchner Caverns, Bisbee and Tombstone

Day 3 Sabino Canyon and Mt. Lemmon or Kitt Peak

For indoor things, see the Tucson Art Museum, the Arizona Historical Society Museum, Arizona State Museum, Flandrau Science Center.

I have clickable links for all of these and more, if you want to send me an email

MikePinTucson@msn.com

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

I should clarify on the humidity.

In the morning, before it starts to heat up, the humidity can be 35% to 45%. As it gets warmer, the humidity drops, so at the highest daytime temperature, the humidity would be about 20% or so.

A word of caution: If you are driving in the desert, or it you do any hiking around Sabino Canyon, be very aware of the weather. If you see any clouds, even in the distance, and if you see any lightning or hear thunder, get to highr ground. This is our monsoon season, and we can have very dangerous flash flooding.

Tucson, Az
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

Definitely go to Mt. Lemmon! It's beautiful as you go up through the different ecological zones and arrive at the pine-filled forest at the top. Super cool and only an hour from Tucson. Good food up there, great hikes and even a Cookie Cabin for after the hike.

Have fun!

Southwest
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

For your information --- the ARizona Sonaran Desert Musuem is open on Saturday nights from like 5 - 10 p.m. Very good start to finding more of what exists in the sonaran desert! ABout 12 miles due west from Downtown on Speedway. There are a few restaraunts for eating and dining pleasures.

Check out the area musuems, i.e. Arizona State Musuem on Univ. of AZ campus. I believe admission is free for looking into historical information on Arizona State as well as the American Indian inhabitants to the region.

Plenty of sun - don't forget the sunblock - and have plenty of bottled water for everyone.

Oro VAlley Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

How to beat the heat. Well I would stay inside or under a patio in the middle to late afternoon. Take it slow, take a hint from mother nature, and drink plenty of water!!!

Do your tourist visits early and then ride up to Mt. Lemmon.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

Roadtravlr,

I live up I-95 from you in Baltimore, but I spent most of my life in Tucson. The heat is very different from what it is like here in Maryland. It is truly a "dry heat," but I find that it is much preferable to the humidity.

Tucsonans find that the best way to beat the heat is to stay inside . :)

Of course, that is not why you are going there, though. Try to plan your major outside activities before about 1 p.m., then stagger some of your time inside and/or by a pool.

It is just like living in the humidity, be smart about things. Drink plenty of water, and wear sunscreen.

Have a great trip!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

Roadtravlr,

I live up I-95 from you in Baltimore, but I spent most of my life in Tucson. The heat is very different from what it is like here in Maryland. It is truly a "dry heat," but I find that it is much preferable to the humidity.

Tucsonans find that the best way to beat the heat is to stay inside . :)

Of course, that is not why you are going there, though. Try to plan your major outside activities before about 1 p.m., then stagger some of your time inside and/or by a pool.

It is just like living in the humidity, be smart about things. Drink plenty of water, and wear sunscreen.

Have a great trip!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
354 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

You might also want to head over to Oasis Fruit Cones for a Mexican raspado after one of your day trips. IA raspado is a great refreshing treat, served with crushed ice and fresh fuit. They're perfect in the afternoons after a long , hot day. They are located at 1002 W. St Marys, just west of I-10 and at 4126 S 12th Ave, just south of Ajo Way and east of I-19.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

My son and one of his friends are planning to travel to Patagonia to photograph snakes and other wildlife next summer, probably at the end of July. They've been advised that there will be more reptiles and amphibians around during the rainy season.

As they've never traveled to that area before, would someone in the Tucson vicinity please provide some safety tips (in addition to those listed above)? They know about staying hydrated, using sunscreen, and being wary of approaching rainstorms. The environment is so different from what we experience in the Northeast that I want to make sure they're prepared. Thanks very much.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help--how do locals beat the heat?

Patagonia Arizona is at an altitude of about 4000 feet, and subsequently somewhat cooler than the lower desert at Tucson. (Or, are you referring to Patagonia at the southern tip of South America?)

The end of July is the beginning of our rainy season. There are nature preserves and a natural riparian area along the Sonoita Creek in and south of Patagonia. How did your son identify this as a good place to photograph snakes, reptiles and amphibians?