We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint Croix Falls HELP!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Saint Croix Falls HELP!!!

My family rented a cabin on Deer Lake by Saint Croix Falls. Is this a good vacation area?? We love remote areas (few crowds). Are we in the northwoods )forest area of Wisconsin....What kind of wildlife might we see in or around saint croix area. Or should we cancel and start looking again. If this is a good spot, please recommend acticites........

Wildlide and remote areas are key.....we would like to be within 2-3 hours of Saint Paul/Minneapolis airport.

THANKS

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint Croix Falls HELP!!!

wildlife in the area: deer, turkey, pheasants, eagles, sand hill cranes. Bear are around but I don't commonly see them though either.

http://www.deerlakewi.com/About.html

www.wisconsincountyforests.com/statemap.htm

www.wisconsincountyforests.com/wcfa-acr.htm

This is a beautiful area and remote enough....are there other areas with a more northwoods feel...yes.

Other areas to consider:

Nicolet National Forest exploringthenorth.com/nicolet/nicmain.html

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Chequamegon-Nicolet_Nati…

but then these can be out of your drive range too but I wanted to give you some other options for forest/remote/northwoods area that would be good.

I think your choice is a fine one too, it's a neat area as well.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint Croix Falls HELP!!!

The area you've chosen is not really what people around here consider the north woods, but it's perfect for what you want. There's a whole lot to do within 15 minutes of where you'll be -- bicycling on the Gandy Dancer State Trail, hiking the Ice Age National Scenic Trail, taking a cruise or paddling on the St. Croix River, going to a play or concert in St. Croix Falls, visiting the Chateau St. Croix Winery, playing around on the rocks in Interstate State Park (on both sides of the river). There are even good restaurants in St. Croix Falls and Taylors Falls and a spa in St. Croix Falls.

I was just in the area last weekend, and hiked in an area farther east, and we flushed a lot of grouse and saw wild turkeys and deer. In summer, you ought to see deer, turkeys and bald eagles. There are wolf packs a little to the north in the Blue Hills, but you're not likely to see them. If you like birds, drive up the St. Croix River to Crex Meadows, one of the best places to see them. For more, see midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_rec…

Beth at MidwestWeekends.com

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint Croix Falls HELP!!!

Isn't the Ice age national scenic trail on the other side of the state near Madison???

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint Croix Falls HELP!!!

Deer Lake is a pretty lake, but it is most certainly not remote. Lake homes basically ring the lake; also, if you are on the south side of the lake, your rental could be very close to Highway 8 which is extremely busy. There are a lot of things to do in the outdoors with a state trail and several state parks close by, but I get the feeling you're looking for something different. We live 15 miles from Deer Lake in Minnesota and spend a lot of time in northwest Wisconsin. You might want to check out Siren, Cumberland, Spooner, or Webster for a more "woodsy" time. All would be within 3 hours of the airport. Balsam Lake would be another suggestion.

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saint Croix Falls HELP!!!

Thank You. Yes I looked up on goggle map the address of one of the cabins and it looks very close to Highway 8........I will start looking at Webster area......We like to get away from crowds and heat of Florida.

Any advice on Webster?

Thanks Again!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saint Croix Falls HELP!!!

Since we're only an hour away, we've never had overnight accommodations in the Webster area so I can't help you with anything specific. Sand Lake is the best known lake a little ways away from Webster; very nice lake. I'm sure there are places also on other lakes since the area has many small lakes. I know Mallard is another one. I would stay away from Yellow Lake since it's a large busy lake that is close to town. If you're east of Webster, you're getting into the real north woods of Wisconsin.

7. Re: Saint Croix Falls HELP!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Saint Croix Falls