We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is salem a relaxing vacation

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
93 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
is salem a relaxing vacation

im looking for a place to go that is a slower pace, and relaxing

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

it can be very busy in the summer

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

And even busier in October.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

No. Rockport may be a better choice.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

if you combine salem with trips to the beach (many nice beaches are not far from salem) or something, it could be relaxing. But I don't think any place where the main attraction is sightseeing is going to be really relaxing.

of course it depends on what you really mean by relaxing?

Binghamton, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

I have been there a few times and I never found it rushed at all. You can take your time and browse through the shops and attractions. If you stay in town you can park your car and walk to everything. So yes overall it is a nice getaway. Not hectic unless you go over the Halloween festivities in October.

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

We were there 2 Halloweens ago & thought it very entertaining! We left just when the costume parade was starting up--wow! I had had no idea.......

If you like a town where every other shop is either Wiccan paraphernalia or tourist gewgaws, Salem is the place to go. It's lots of fun in a campy way & the teen daughter loved it of course. Also a beautiful harbor, Nat'l Pk Svs stuff, history by the ton, whaling, literature etc. But other towns in MA have the port aspect & whaling history without all the touristy stuff.

Check out Dartmouth MA--little town near RI border, so of Fall River, not much action but B&Bs, resaurants---certainly relaxing. You can spend a day in nearby New Bedford for tourist stuff, whaling museum, Nat'l Pk svs sites, Abolitionist history et al.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

Pickering Wharf has lots of nice shops and there are alot of very good restaurants in the the area.. We have a ferry that goes to Boston, Whale watching trips, world class Peabody Essex museum.

Lots to do but I don't see why it wouldn't be relaxing at the same time.

North Huntingdon...
Level Contributor
37 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

We were in Salem at the end of May and it was just wonderful that time of year. Everything was open and there were not a lot of crowds. I highly recommend the whale watching tour. We had three whales right next to our boat. It was amazing. Salem is rich in history and has a lot to offer. It is a very quaint and relaxing town. I also recommend staying at the Morning Glory bed and breakfast. This was the best B&B we have ever stayed in.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

I live in Salem, and I do not find it especially relaxing. An earlier poster mentioned Rockport which is a town that has really not been discovered yet. I would choose Rockport. Try looking at the Emerson Inn, you will be in a happy coma in no time.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is salem a relaxing vacation

I guess posts are for opinions, but I'be surprised if everyone here is talking about Salem, MA??? And as far as Rockport goes, it is lovely but talk about touristy- Bearskin Neck is filled with kitchy junk/ t-shirt shops and, unless you're an art gallery person, there isn't a lot more. Expect to pay through the nose for a drink at the few restaurants that have (until recently non-existent) liquor licenses and don't forget to feed the meters IF you can find a spot.

Parking in Salem is no treat either, but if you're here for the day, park in the South Harbor Garage near Pickering Wharf or the municipal garage across from the vistor's center, otherwise the longest meters are two hours and most are just one (bless our parking officers, you will get a ticket).

Strolling the historic districts, Peabody Essex Museum, the wharves, House of Seven Gables- all quite relaxing. Good restaurants and, as far as witch and touristy gewgaws???, yes there's some. Our city is hardly Beverly Hills, but there are plenty of nice shops and if you don't want a Salem t-shirt or Wiccan necklace, don't buy one! BTW, if you DON'T want busy any time of year except Marathon Monday, then Holliston, MA is definitely your Shangri La. Oops, that's Hopkinton- never mind, it's always quiet in Holliston.