We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem State College

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Salem State College

Ok before I visit this school with my daughter I really would appreciate an honest answer as to what this school is like. If anyone has attended this school or lives in Salem I would be getting a different perspective as opposed to just looking at the school website. i have read a few articles and looked at the website but that is just one side and of course thaey are going to be positive. Give me the scoop as only those who live there know. Thanks,

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salem State College

I'm happy to make a few comments as a Salem resident...but honestly, I'm not sure that Trip Advisor is going to be your best resource for such information.

That said, our God daughter's older sister attended a few years ago for three semesters and found it to be a good "state" school. It used to be a teacher's college, but now is a more full-service school, I believe. It is probably comparable to some suburban Chicago public colleges. Salem is certainly a safe place in which to reside and SSC is not known as a "party" school, though I'd imagine a fair share goes on as at any other.

The school draws an impressive list of speakers each year- authors, politicians and leaders, etc. There have been a number of new buildings and campus improvements recently; although most of the dorms have the concrete monolith look, fire-safe I suppose.

I do have a question for you (which you needn't answer)...will your daughter not have to pay "out-of-state" tuition? or does she live in-state? Whilst we're very proud of Salem State, I wondered if there's something drawing her here vs. an Illinois state college or university- perhaps SSC is a better school than I realise?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salem State College

Yes we will have to pay out of state tuition . Ouch!! as I am finding with any school not in your own state that it is usually 3 to 4 times the resident fee. Having said that I guess the lure is the major she is looking at which a lot of school don't offer - photography, grapic design and teaching. While she can get a teaching degree here there is currently not a school here with the photography aspect. It also came up as one of the cheaper out of state schools, if you want to call anything under $ 20,000 cheap. Thanks for the info

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salem State College

I consider it an okay school, but it's not Harvard. It doesn't strike me as the sort of place you'd travel far and wide to attend. Why has she chosen it? Does it offer an outstanding, unique program of study?

I also agree that this isnt' the best place to check. You might try the Princeton Review, US News, and ratemyprofessor.com and other sources more appropriate to judging the place.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salem State College

Back in the dark ages when I was looking at colleges there was the "New England Consortium". All the state schools in New England agreed to accept each other's students in-state tuition IF (and only IF) the major the student wanted was not available from their own state.

I don't know if that agreement still exists or if it's expanded to other states, but if your daughter really wants that photography angle, you might want to find out if states closer to home do anything similar, kwim?

Agreed that you won't get the most info here ... but felt I wanted to chime in.

Level Contributor
421 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salem State College

most of my friends/peers during college years were attending out of state, and most of the college students I know now are also out of state, so I don't think it's such a big deal. Boston area is a nice place to be, Salem State is a good school, and there is a high probability that it will be a good experience for all involved. A hassle of a drive to IL, but in general not too bad of a collage distance for a couple/few flights per year. What I appreciated most about SSC (graduate school in my case) is that the professors have consulting or other professional roles in "real life" which made them better teachers, as opposed to being out of touch with anything off campus. Enjoy your visit to check out the campus and the area.

MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salem State College

My daughter is currently a junior there and she is very happy there.She has, for the most part, liked her teachers and classmates.She is majoring in education and biology and is doing well.The campus is easy to get around. We live here in Salem, so she commutes each day, so I can't comment on the dorms. She went to a private high school and transitioned there without a problem.Several of her classmates from high school started college elsewhere and are now at Salem State.As with anything else in life, you get out of it what you are willing to put into it. I'd be happy to answer any other questions if you have any.Good luck.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salem State College

You might want to ask what percentage of students are local, commuters or out of New England, or out of state students. It is mostly a commuter school for local families. Whether that is good or bad depends on the her major and what is attracting her to this school. My hesitation is that it is a long way from home and not really a stand out school. The exception to that is the theatre department which has gotten national recognition and really seems to be thriving.

8. Re: Salem State College

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 01:15