We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

salem for 1 day in December

Dublin I
14 posts
Save Topic
salem for 1 day in December

Hi there,

We are a group of 8 ladies coming to Boston in December.

We are hoping to go to Salem for a day trip.

Is this advisable in December, will most things be open?

Would Sunday or Monday be best?

Any recommendations for Lunch / Dinner?

Any Psychics you'd recommend?, would we need to make a reservaation?

Any advice would be grateful.

Sheeba

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: salem for 1 day in December

Hi Sheeba: In no particular order...I'm sorry, I don't know about psychics- there are a few around town...maybe a web search of "psychics + Salem, MA"?? Most places will be open on Sundays after Noon and, depending on which weekend, December will get progressively more holiday-festive throughout the month toward Christmas. Some businesses (including mine) are closed on Mondays, but you'd have more schedule choices on the commuter rail whereas traffic will be somewhat heavier if you plan to drive- it shouldn't be bad after rush hour. Some of the historic sites and "witchy" stuff may have already closed for the season or have reduced hours; however, most will still be open. Our weather MIGHT be still nice- more Autumn than Winter- it could just as easily be cool and damp, fine Irish weather, it's anyone guess though. There are a number of restaurant choices including a pretty good (by our standards) Irish pub and an excellent curry spot run by a Scots Celt- if you want more "local", you'll find plenty of good seafood around- what are your preferences? I would recommend "Red's", downtown, for breakfast or lunch- very casual with great food in a pre-Revolution building. Eight Irish hens will be most welcome anywhere in our city...please post again if I can give you some more specifics- except psychics, SLAINTE!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: salem for 1 day in December

Don't forget "the Old Spot" restaurant across from the Hawthorne Hotel for pub food updated and right on the money. I second the notion that Monday will be a bit drab in Salem. Also look into the Picklepot shop for some really unique local crafts and great earrings. Girls always need more shiny things. Enjoy!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
87 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: salem for 1 day in December

Hi!

Not sure what exactly you are looking to do in Salem (aside from dinner!)... I too am visiting Salem for a day trip from Boston on Nov 30. We are taking the commuter rail from Boston. It's very fast and easy to use. You can visit http://www.mbta.com/ to view the maps and schedules.

We are arriving in the afternoon and planning on having lunch at Red's Sandwich Shop (http://www.redssandwichshop.com/). It was highly recommended from some locals via TripAdvisor and Ben at the Chamber of Commerce!

After lunch we are planning on touring some of the cities sights. The city appears to be very walkable, but we wanted a guide to help us through it. You will find that the organized tours are closed for the season, but there are two other options.

1) You can email Doug at Salem Pedi Cabs who may possibly arrange a quick pedicab tour of the city

salempedicab@gmail.com

2) You can email Hannah at Salem Strolls who may be able to give you a guided walking tour

tours@salemstrolls.com

If the weather is not too extreme, these may work!

Sadly, other than the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem's museum's have gotten unfavorable reviews on TripAdvisor. The tour may be a better option if the weather is not too bitter!

www.pem.org/

I hope this info helps you plan your visit! Just an FYI, this will be my first visit to Salem, but thought I would try to offer what I have learned through my research!

Good luck!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: salem for 1 day in December

Red's is definitely a great place to eat. Great food, great atmosphere, friendly staff.

The Peabody Essex Museum is a must see, as well as The House of the Seven Gables. Both should be open in December as they're not tied to the hectic Halloween season. Try to get to at least one "Witch" related site. Most are pretty cheesy, hence the negative reviews on TA, but when going to Salem, learning about the events of 1692 is pretty much the reason to be there. That sad moment in history is what drives the tourism in Salem. Any one of the places will give you a background into the events- The Witch Museum, The Witch History Museum, The Witch Dungeon. Check for opening times on www.salemweb.com

Everything in Salem is walkable and close together, so finding places just as you're walking around will be easy.

As for psychics, don't have any recommendations as to who to go to, but I have heard from reliable sources to stay away from Fatima's.

Enjoy Salem. It's a lovely little city.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: salem for 1 day in December

The Peabody and Essex Museum is definitely worth it. Considering it may be cold spending the whole time outside it might be nice for a few hours to enjoy this museum (the warmth!).

6. Re: salem for 1 day in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:19