We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother and Daughter Weekend

Philadelphia
12 posts
Save Topic
Mother and Daughter Weekend

I am going to Salem this weekend with my 8 year old daughter. After reading some of the forums posted sounds like the Pirate Museum, Salem Witch Museum or Witch History Museum would be a good bet to get a taste of Salem. We wanted to eat somewhere that is festive with the Halloween Spirit. Is there any place thats decked out for Halloween to eat?? Also friends of mine are coming up on Sunday for lunch any suggestions?

Thanks!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother and Daughter Weekend

It looks like you picked a good weekend to visit- cool (upper 50s) and clear.

Many restaurants have varying amounts of Halloween decoration and I suppose pumpkin pie for dessert; otherwise, the only Halloween "theme" I can think of is at the Salem Beer Works which serves micro-brewed pumpkin ale and a yummy blueberry ale- perhaps NOT for your 8 year-old, though.

Likely crowded, but well worth any wait, is Red's Sandwich Shoppe for breakfast or lunch. Check out the restaurant pages for some more options- we DO have some quite good choices but, again, be prepared for the possibility of long lines. Also look at the Inside Pages/Transportation/Parking to avoid some of the probable parking aggrevation.

Your best first stop might be at the Visitors' Center near the Peabody Essex Museum and the Municipal Garage. I'd also consider a tour of the PEM, the Friendship on Derby Wharf, the House of Seven Gables and Old Burying Point Cemetery near the Pirate Museum. Welcome and enjoy!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother and Daughter Weekend

What a great idea for a restaurant! Is anyone listening...a halloween themed restaurant in Salem. Well, there isn't one right now but maybe your question will inspire someone. We always take friends to The Old Spot on the Essex Mall. The food is terrific, inexpensive and it has great windows for people watching. Also, stick you head inside Rockafella's the food is "meh" but people in costume tend to go there for meals and they are a hoot to watch. Have fun!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother and Daughter Weekend

leafpeeper:

I'd bet that most locals would eschew (pun intended) a Halloween-themed restaurant; so unless they could get an "October-only" licence, I doubt any such establishment would last through the winter.

I disagree about Rockafella's food- I've found them quite good although, when crowded, service can be a bit slow (hyperbole avoided there). I see you've mentioned The Old Spot in several posts...I don't think there's much difference since changing from McSwiggin's- which was also good- and whilst I like "pub" food, I'm not certain I would put the Spot at the top of MY list...but that's what opinions are all about and yours is certainly as valid as mine...maybe moreso!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother and Daughter Weekend

leafpeeper98: " What a great idea for a restaurant! Is anyone listening...a halloween themed restaurant in Salem. Well, there isn't one right now but maybe your question will inspire someone. "

There was the Crypt Cafe, across the street from the Hawthorne Hotel (where McSwiggins was). It was back in the late 90s, I believe. It was very Hallowe'en themed, skeleton decor, some of the tables looked like headstone replicas, they served half decent food with amusing "spooky" names. *shrug* I enjoyed the food, it wasn't anything even remotely fancy, but it was still good.

In any event, sadly, it didn't last.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother and Daughter Weekend

Oh good god, the last thing this town needs is a halloween themed restaurant. I, along with most other locals, would most certainly boycott that place.

I have to disagree with the other poster regarding Rockafellas - it is my favorite restaurant in town and I think the food is excellent. It is also very reasonably priced. The brunch at the Hawthorne Hotel is also quite nice on Sundays.

6. Re: Mother and Daughter Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 21:16