We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving TO Salem

New Orleans
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving TO Salem

Hi my name is josh I was born and raised in New Orleans and still live here in my beloved city..Im 23 and ready to try a new area...For one thing the crime has gotten pretty bad here and things just arent bouncing back like we all thought they would after katrina...Im so tired of hearing about Katrina thats another reason I want to move and its just getting dull here for me now..I hear Salem is a cool place and its so close to boston which I really would like to live in I just cant afford it..But can anyone tell me more about Salem..My girlfriend wants to move there and she keeps telling me that its a perfect place for us..Shes pagan so I hear its a great place to live if your pagan but I want to know how will I like it...I mean New Orleans isnt boucing back like we thought but its still a fun vibrant city i just want to know if Salems the place for me before I move there and find out its not what I thought...So is it a cool place to live?? Should I give it a try?? Is the cost of living high or low?? Is it easy to find work??

Thankyou

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving TO Salem

Salem's big for tourism, but I wouldn't recommend moving there for a job. It's really a suburb of Boston (15 miles away) and housing is very expensive in that area. You would be better off looking at cheaper housing north of Boston, such as Everett or Revere, which are between the 2. As for Salem being a magnet for wiccans, I'm really not so sure. After all, the original "witches" Salem made famous were hardly pagan. My hunch is you'd find more of what you're looking for in some of the more diverse, artsy areas of Boston (say, Jamaica Plain).

Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if TA shuts this down, since it's not travel related. Sorry :-)

New Orleans
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving TO Salem

thanks for responding man umm so Salem really is expesnsive?? I did notice on craigs list that they were a little high so north of boston?? I dont really know much about the area at all...so what about boston itself like north end or something?? I mean if i were moving to Salem whould it be about the same cost of lving?? I really want to live in boston but I figuered a salem might be less expensive and its got a really cool history and I thought it might be kind of like new orleans in a way but I dont know I guess ill look into north of boston like you said...thanks a lot

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving TO Salem

The whole state of Massachusetts is very expensive. Expect to pay $900-$1500/month for a 1 br/1 ba apartment.

I recommend you check out the Salemweb message boards at www.salemweb.com/discus. There is a whole section on "moving to Salem". You can read about the local politics and issues, too.

I don't think it would be that hard to find work - plus we have a commuter train to Boston, so you can get a job there, too.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving TO Salem

There actually is a vibrant wiccan community in Salem. I personally would not live in Revere. It's cheap, but you get what you pay for. It is not a vibrant, artsy community.

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving TO Salem

I'll defer to the other posters' knowledge about salem. Something to consider (and you may find this in the Salem discussion groups) is that if you find a roomate, or another couple, then you're looking at house rentals. With this housing market, you may find better options that way.

I'll clarify what I meant earlier. Yes, MA is expensive. But there are areas that are vibrant and cool and cheap. Not knowing enough about Salem, I'll go back over Boston. I initially mentioned Everett, Revere, etc because they were closer to Salem; I agree that they're old working class communities and not very exciting.

First, the caveat: you can have cool (vibrant/artsy), cheap, and nice, but you can only have 2 of the 3. Areas of Boston and immediately surrounding towns that are cool and cheap include Somerville, Allston, Brighton, and parts of Medford and Cambridge. Areas that used to be very cheap (=artsy), but are gentrifying rapidly, are West Roxbury and Jamaica Plain (JP). Any place you have subway access (not just busses) are key. You can figure out specific areas by looking for language - if a listing says 5 min from x square, then x square is usually an interesting place to be. You need to decide the tradeoffs yourself between an awesome location and a apartment that's falling apart. For all the places I mentioned, cars are a PITA and usually you have on-street parking. But with a job in the city (and commuter rail to Salem) and living near the subway, there's no need for a car anyway.

FYI I can't stand craigslist's interface. You can also try boston.com (the local big paper). And for roomates, you can also look in the local alternative papers, such as the phoenix (bostonphoenix.com).

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving TO Salem

Iambullet: Have you ever experienced winter? By winter, I mean cold, rain, snow and sleet that lasts from November straight through to April. Every day? Aside from paying rent, expect to make a big investment in paying for heat and and an equally large investment in winter clothing. Boots, hats, mittens, gloves, cloats, scarves, ski pants, ski jacket, heavy shoes, wool socks. My experience is that people from warm climates do not really comprehend cold weather that lasts on and on for months. We Yankees are born to it and we actually have thicker blood, plus we have purchased all the gear that makes winter bearable over a period of years. You will be shocked, but not in a good way, when you confront a northern winter for the first time. My advice is to visit Salem in Feburary before you make any decisions. If you can take two weeks of February weather then mulitple that be ten; come on up! We would love to have you in our city!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving TO Salem

No question that there's a big difference between the N.O and the NE climate- I've lived in (through) both...and not to split hairs, but I think it's a bit of hyperbole to say that we have 6 months of snow, sleet, etc. (Nov- April?). In my 20 years here, I've seen close to 100 inches of snow during four or five winters (including an April 1st blizzard in the 90s) and four or five with very little; but the average is around 40, so yes, it can be rough. However, we've been over 90F in February and there have been quite a few "shirtsleeve" Thanksgivings and Christmases. Whilst ocean storms are common in winter, most of the time the water also keeps us from experiencing long stretches of below-zero or even below-freezing temperatures. That all said, weather certainly SHOULD be a factor in your decision. Good luck!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving TO Salem

I actually lived in Somerville, right in Davis Square, for many years and find Salem to be a similar and vibrant community. It has a great, walkable downtown with tons of restaurants, bars, and lots of events/activities happening through the summer and autumn (up until November 1). In fact, just walking around downtown today I found it way more vibrant and exciting than Davis Square can ever be.

I suggest you come out here to visit and see for yourself. Try to explore some of the local neighborhoods - such as in the immediate Boston area like JP(jamaica plain), cambridge and Somerville - and also some of the places a little further afield, like Salem, before making up your mind.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,269 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving TO Salem

Josh,

Many people are referring to 'cheap' places to live. They are cheap compared to other neighborhoods in and around Boston or Salem, but they may not be cheap to you. Eastern Massachusetts real estate (both sales and rentals) is high compared to many other parts of the country. Before you make a blind leap, get onto Boston.com or an apartment rental websites and check out rents.

AND ... if heat is not included, it could be a large expense. Some of the less expensive apartments may be in older buildings with little to no insulation and windows that aren't 100% airtight. And that does not make it a bad apartment or a bad place to live .... it's just how it is.

As a reality check, you might want to do a web search for a 'cost of living' calculator. Let's say you live in N.O., and want to move to Boston ... key in that information along w/ your current annual income and it will tell you how much you need to earn in Boston to maintain a similar lifestyle.

Good luck to you as you make your decision.

10. Re: Moving TO Salem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 14:20