We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peabody-Essex Museum

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Peabody-Essex Museum

Has any one visited this museum? Looking for a day trip from southwest NH and wondered if this would be a good choice? Where would you recommend for lunch?

conn
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

one of the best small museums in New England. I haven't been since the expanson so can be to much help.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
995 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

It's a great museum in a beautiful building. It is heavy in maritime and china trade, so if you're interested in these areas, it's a must see. There are other interesting things there too though.

Boston
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

Cambridge has many places where you can get something to eat. It just depends on what you are in the mood for. Fire and ice, Border caffe (mexican), Le's (formerly Pho Pasteur)(vietnamese), mandarin bay(indian), Bartley's (Burgers). If I was going to or near Harvard Square I would to mandarin bay.

These are just a few names I can remember, there are many places in cambridge wich name I can remember. (sorry)

If you are going to be in Harvard Square you have to stop by cardullos gourmet shop. http://www.cardullos.com/

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

The Cambridge suggestions are nice, but it would easily take 45 minutes each way to and from- for lunch? Sorry, but there are plenty of nice choices here: for a great "local" experience (within a couple of blocks of the Museum), Red's is diner-ish, but great food and HISTORIC; The Old Spot has good pub-style food; OR there are at least half a dozen good restaurants along Washington St. adjacent to the walking mall on which the Museum sits. For a lovely upscale meal, the Lyceum is on Church St., a block north of the walking mall.

Now, regarding the Peabody-Essex: plan on spending several hours (minimum) for your tour- there's a 200 yr. old Chinese house, millions of dollars of art treasures, fascinating exhibits and tons of history. PEM is well worth a visit!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

P.S. The municipal garage is just steps from the PEM and is quite reasonable- other multi-hour parking options are limited. Before you go to PEM, stop at the Visitors' Center across from the garage to get some ideas about other attractions if you have time for a full Salem tour and don't forget the House of Seven Gables which has its own free car park.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

The PEM is a very nice museum. It really gets into the history of Salem's trade with China and the East India company, a part of history that is often overlooked especially in Salem where so much emphasis is on the witchcraft trials.

In my opinion, the round, ivory bed is worth the cost of admission, alone. What a beautiful piece of work that is.

Lunch recommendation, I would suggest Reds. Great menu, great food, pleasant staff.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

Thank you all, these are great ideas. While Cambridge is nice, I really wanted to keep to the Salem area. We have been to some of the other sites in Salem but have heard many good things about this museum, can't believe I've missed it all this time! Lunch suggestions seem to be just what I am looking for, looks like it will be hard choice!

Boston
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

I was thinking of the Peabody Museum in Cambridge ... bu the Peabody Essex in Salem would be just as good :o)

Sorry I wasn't much help.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

That's OK, I will just keep it in mind for another time.

10. Re: Peabody-Essex Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:20