We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on Salem lodgings

Toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on Salem lodgings

We're going to a conference Oct. 2-4 in Salem and could use some advice on accommodation. We both have sleeping problems so need someplace without a lot of traffic and with reasonably comfortable beds.

The conference has a deal with the Hawthorne Hotel. But there are also are some nice-looking Inns and B&Bs - though maybe it's too late to be booking those.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

The Hawthorne is a very nice property, centrally located, and has a nice dining room. Though it is on one of the major roads through the center of town (1-A), it is only a two lane (1 lane each direction) street, and there is a traffic light right there that keeps the traffic down to a slow speed. If you were visiting later in the month, you'd probably be getting more street noise due to the Haunted Happenings that increase in intensity as Halloween gets closer.

The other hotel that comes to mind is on Pickering Wharf, and though it's just a block away, I'd guess the street traffic would be a bit more noticeable, since it is very close to a busier intersection, and adjoins a parking lot for a condo complex and the shopping/tourist area of Pickering Wharf.

I'm sorry I can't give any first hand info about the B&Bs in town.

Salem, The Witch...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

You might want to look at the Salem Inn. It's on 114 near a stoplight so as in the case of the Hawthorne the traffic is slow. It's a few minute walk to the center of down town. The rooms are nice, prices even better and has a much more homie feel than the larger hotels.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

I save my love for the Morning Glory which is rated #1 on TA B&B. It is located very close to the ocean, on a side street, across from the House of Seven Gables. It is not in a commercial area at all and there is very little traffic. Morning Glory an awesome roofdeck with ocean views. The host and house are both awesome. Read the reviews, I have never seen a bad one. The owner does have cats, so it is not for the allergic.

Toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

Thanks for the thoughts. I get the impression that downtown Salem is small but busy during the day, quiet at night -- correct? A bit like Stratford or Niagara-on-the-Lake in Ontario (homes of the Stratford and Shaw festivals).

Among B&Bs, Morning Glory looked good, but I am particularly interested in the Stephen Daniels House. Salem Inn had some bad reviews, but I wasn't sure they were fair.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

Salem could not be described as "quiet at night" as Halloween approaches. People, cars and motorcycles are all reved up and looking for a party. I will check out the Steven Daniels house for you as far as location. You really want to be on a quiet side street, out of the main traffic flow. The good news is that Salem is very, very walkable. If you are bringing a car, make sure the hotel/B&B offers free parking, 'cause you are going to want to ditch your car and lace up your sneakers or you will be "haunted" by parking problems from the get-go.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

I just looked up the location of the SD House... the location looks excellent as far as proximity of Hawthorne and the sites of interest in Salem. The House of Seven Gables is about a block or two away, and everything else not much further in other directions. The Salem Common (nearby) is a large beautiful park, ringed by a wroght iron fence, and surrounded by 18th and 19th century sea captains' mansions.

I'll bet it would be quiet, just judging from the location, and what I know from walking this neighborhood often... though I still can't place the house itself...

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

I just checked out the SD House for you and it looks to be right on a main drag. Someone please correct me if that is wrong. Have you actually checked availability with the innkeepers? You may find that in October, hotels and B&B are a lot more booked up than you think they are, especially with a conference in town. October is high tourist season here. You should probably be in touch with the innkeepers right away for availability before you invest too much time in choosing a hotel location. You will have a blast regardless, just run the airco for the white noise effect and enjoy. I sympathize as I have lots of trouble sleeping as well and have to make all kinds of advance plans. Salem rocks in October.

Toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

Thanks for your help, everyone. I was able to book a room for three nights at the Amelia Payson House B&B. I'll be sure to write a review when I get back. I think I'm going to like Salem!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

Just so you know, Ocotber 2nd is the date of the Halloween Grand Parade which is when all the school children of Salem (and many teachers) parade through town in their Halloween costumes. It is a very silly and lighthearted affair with neighborhood floats and candy being thrown to bystanders. Kind of like mardi gras for elementary school kids; makes you feel like a kid again. Also you can tour the Phillips House by candlelight. The Phillips house is located in a lovely historic neighborhood. here is where to find more info about Haunted Happenings

http://www.hauntedhappenings.org/

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice on Salem lodgings

The Amelia Payson House is a nice choice. Also, not sure if this is generally in your repertoire when traveling, but I am incredibly light sleeper and always pack ear plugs. The only other time I use my earplugs (other than when traveling) is during the entire month of October because Salem gets quite loud.