We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney-Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Topic
Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

We are a couple with a 4 yr from Sydney Australia.We plan on visiting Salem anytime during the 20th -30th October.We will like to attend to some of the family events that are happening during that time in Salem.I would like to know if parents dress up during the dates before Halloween?I would like to dress up but would I look silly anytime during those dates before Halloween?

We will be in Boston for Halloween Night to trick or treat in the neighbourhood,it will be our first time not sure what to expect.Are houses really decorated?

We don't really celebrate it in Australia.

Many Thanks in advance.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

Here is the schedule for all the Halloween events

http://www.hauntedhappenings.org/

Pu-leese don't be shy about dressing up in Salem. People will treat you like a rock star and clamor to take your picture on the days before Halloween if you dress up. You will feel really badly if you don't go all out. Do a family costune, we like that. This is just why people come to Salem, to see and be seen in costume. And who ever heard of a shy Australian anyway.

I suggest you take the little nipper Trick or Treating in the historic McIntyre neighborhood where the locals are well stocked with candy. I have a friend who gets 200 kids a night on Halloween. Don't you worry about decorations - we got you covered. Bring a bag with a handle and a flashlight as it will be dark and the cobblestone streets are uneven. The downtown scene on Halloween night will amaze you, but it might be a bit overwhelming for a four year old, last year we had 65,000 people in costume and that was on a weeknight. Imagine being only waist high in that sea of people, it could be a bit much. Plan on long, long line at restaurants, so eat early or keep the nipper fueled with snacks or you may experience a sugar melt down of epic preportions. Please no strollers for the nipper, there are too many people jamming the streets to safely navigate with a stroller out in front of you. Have a great day and throw a shrimp on the barbie for us.

If you have a car you may want to take the nipper up to Maudsley State park (about 40 minutes north in Amesbury) for a hayride around the park. Big draught horses, wagons, pumpkins, happy kids. There is also a corn maze up there in the neighboring town of Newbury.

Sydney-Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

Thankyou!Now I need to decide if i should take my son Trick or Treating at the Historic Mc Intyre Neighbourhood is that in Salem? or in Boston Beacon hill and Louisburg Square.What would you do?

I have a great Witch outfit and my son has a Little devils outfit,I have to try and convince my husband to dress up too to get into the the spirit of Halloween.

How fun I just can't wait.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

Where are you staying? Boston or Salem? I cannot stress enough the warning not to travel by car on Halloween night. It is just miles of backed up traffic jams, but you can take the train both ways to Boston. So if you are going to be in Boston, trick or treat on Louisburg Sq. If in Salem, trick or treat here in McIntyre neighborhood. Having said that missing Halloween in Salem is like me visiting Sydney and deciding not to visit the harbor or the Opera House but to take bus to Kings Cross and watch TV in a bar. It may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Tell you dear husband that at least half the lasses here in Salem wear scanty outfits which are quite attention getting to say the least. Everyone looks down on people who don't at least make the effort, so unless he wants to be dissed by the girls he had better man up and get some kind of costume going. There are some really good costume shops here in Salem right on the mall that sell really unique masks, so he can buy one here and have bragging rights back home. You gotta do it up! You can 'dine out" on this adventure back home in Oz for a long while.

Sydney-Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

We are staying with friends in Brookline Boston and we were just planning to drive to Salem back and forth from around the 20th until the 25th October for the family events.

I wouldn't dream of driving into Salem on Halloween night.I could come on the train but I would have to bring a stroller, my son will get tired.

Could it be possible to do both Louisburg Square Boston and then catch a train into Salem,then go straight to Historic Mc Intyre for trick or treating.Does this sound insane?

How far is Salem from Boston?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

No, it sounds like a nightmare to attempt both. But I like your attitude! Stick with the Louisburg Square plan. I have gone there on Halloween and it is very, very nice, much more sane than Salem. It is quite lovely any time really. I hope you have a wondeful visit to our area. Who knows you may become the reigning Queen of Halloween in Sydney. Of course it is springtime down there, so you will have to change it up a bit.

Sydney-Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

Thanks for your advice.

Unfortunately we don't really celebrated Halloween in Australia,but I always organise a big party at my house.Trick or Treating starts at around 3.30pm until 7pm.Parents get really booed out if it's any later than that.

Will see how we go that evening on Halloween night.

We do have a friend from Boston who has a friend who lives in Salem she will be away during Halloween,so if she gives us her house during that time we may go Trick or Treating in Salem.

Is Historic Mc Intyre Neighbourhood away from all the crowds?

Do you still little ones around that time in Salem?

sorry to be a pain!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

Cetta3: I can't believe you are actually going to pull this off! Good for you - you *are* the Queen of Halloween with that can do attitude. I am gonna say that trick or treating starts at around 5:30 or 6 here on Halloween and goes on till about 8 PM. Little kids tire earlier than that, but teenagers still like to go out even though they won't admit it. The Historic McIntyre Neighborhood is about 5 to 6 blocks away from where all the adult crowds will be. There will be plenty of little kids and parents there. Make sure to bring your camera and batteries and ask people to take their pictures.

Here is a link to a map of Salem. Look for Derby street and Essex street which will be where the adult crowds are

http://www.grapevinesalem.com/salem.asp

then look for Salem Athenaem for Historic McIntye Neighborhood.

Sydney-Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

Thanks so much! I hope I can do this! How could I possibly miss Halloween Night in Salem.I'm determine to make this work.You have been amazing! Thankyou so much for your help.

I guess all Accommodation in Salem would be all booked up by now. Any hotels,motels that you can recommend that might have vacancies that you know of?

Sydney-Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

I forgot to mention how long is the train ride from Boston to Salem?

We are staying in Brookline.

Whens a good time to get to Salem on the 31st October(Halloween)Morning/afternoon?

Many Thanks

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney Family vacation in Salem and Boston.October 2008

it is about one half hour from North Station in Boston to Salem via train. Factor in another half hour to get from Brookline to North Station on the Green Line (I think it is the D line train) Here is the link to the MBTA (train and subway authority) that has the schedules and routes. Look for Salem on the Newburyport/Rockport line. There will be a lot of people in costume on the train on Halloween.

www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/…

Most hotel/B&B in Salem require a 4 day minimum stay over Halloween.