We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day of the week recommendation

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
216 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
day of the week recommendation

We will be staying in Plymouth from the 4th-9th of July. After looking at the map I realized that I will be driving through Boston to get to Salem. With it being a holiday weekend does anyone have any recommendation as to what day would be best to travel to Salem. What time do you recommend leaving to get there and also for the return trip? Will the traffic be horrible? I'm not used to driving in city traffic so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day of the week recommendation

If driving through the city (I93) I would avoid the worst of morning commute by going through around 10 or 10:30 AM there would be less traffic. Note that the traffic can still be bad any time of the day. On the return trip I'd make a day of it and have dinner there and then return after dinner (after 7PM).

Another option is from coming up from Plymouth is not to go through the city but instead take Route I95 North and travel around the city suburbs. But this way there is also lots of commuting traffic so it is not guaranteed that this will be a better route. This way is about 10-15 miles longer going through the city but sometimes can be shorter time wise depending on traffic.

Any way you slice it the commute from Plymouth to Salem isn't going to be traffic free. I'd probably also avoid Monday.

2. Re: day of the week recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 07:18