We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem on Foot

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palmer,Massachusetts
Level Contributor
133 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Salem on Foot

We will be visiting Salem,Ma Halloween weekend.We are staying in Woburn and driving in.I know they close off the streets,but was wondering how close can we get to all the attractions.Are their any parking lots that have shuttle servive to town.Also,can you suggest age appropriate attractions suited for 13 yr old girls,who will be traveling with us. Best places be & see ,to get the most out of the experiene. Any & all suggestions will be much appreciated.

Palmer,Massachusetts
Level Contributor
133 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salem on Foot

P.S.Where in town would be a good centralized place to start our visit.Thanks again

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salem on Foot

The best place to "start" would be at the Salem Witch Museum. That is within easy walking distance to everything.

For parking, just park in the garage next to the Vistor Center. My 17 year old and I go every year for Haunted Happenings and we've never had issues with parking there.

Follow the marked trail (similar to Boston's Freedom Trail) and you'll go to Pickering Wark, House of Seven Gables, etc.

If yoou girls are up for it, I've heard the night Ghost Tours are good, but I've not had the chance to do that. I would not suggest Spellbound Tours.

The outside pedestrian mall is really where it's at with the vendors, shows, performers, etc.

The Memorial is not to be missed.

Just please expect a mass of bodies that weekend - it is nuts.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salem on Foot

I also suggest having a meal at Rockefella Restaurant only because people dress up in full costume regalia and eat there. Their food is just okay, but the atmosphere rocks and I think the girls will have a blast. Teens LOVE Salem, all they have to do is walk down the street to be thrilled to death with everything going on. 80% of the Halloween stuff is centered right on the pedestrian mall, so don't fret about getting around. Museum Place parking is steps away, so try and park there. Allow time for major traffic snarls if you try to commute during the really obvious hours. Salem is very family friendly and the city admin is adamant about keeping it that way. People show some skin on Halloween night, but it's all in good fun. Police are out in force and no one is allowed to get carried away. There are no satellite parking lots or shuttles although you could easily park or Swampscott (about 20 minutes from Woburn) at the train station and ride the train one stop to Salem. The Salem train station is about 3 blocks from downtown.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salem on Foot

YOu know I was thinking if traffic is really bad getting into Salem on Halloween weekend, which i guarantee it will be. You can drive Rte 62 North from Woburn to Beverly, then jump on the train from Beverly to Salem which is a very quick ride. When you check the MBTA train schedule just be sure that the train stops at Beverly, not all do.

5. Re: Salem on Foot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2010, 04:16