We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem in December

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Salem in December

Planning an east cost trip around Christmas I thought of adding a trip to Salem.

As I'm getting the impression that a day trip from Boston might not be enough to really enjoy Salem, I'm thinking of rearranging my schedule slightly so I can stay for one night.

Option a) 12/17 to 12/18 (Thursday to Friday),

option b) 12/18 to 12/19 (Friday to Saturday),

option c) 12/27 to 12/28 (Sunday to Monday)

Does it make any difference which of these dates I choose?

I'm leaning towards the first two options, since Salem is something I feel would be nicer before Christmas instead of after, can't explain why.

Maybe there a certain events or opening hours of the major sights to consider? I'm pretty much going for that whole witchy experience. ;-)

Also, I'm thinking of staying at the Morning Glory B&B (haven't checked availability yet) or the Hawthorne Hotel. Comments?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast
Morning Glory Bed...
1,361 Reviews
Salem, MA
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
2,072 Reviews
Salem, MA
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salem in December

I think any of the options will be fine and also think that your idea of spending the night in Salem is a good one. There's plenty to do. I can't think of any particular events in mid- to late-December, but you should check salem.org for more information. There's usually a tour of historic homes, decorated for the season, but it's usually early in the month. The House of Seven Gables usually has some special programs in December. The calendar on their website only goes through October now, but have look later (or contact them).

http://salem.org/

http://www.7gables.org/index.htm

Perhaps one reason to go for the earlier dates over option C is that Salem will be more crowded with families after Christmas due to school vacation week. Also, some sites are regularly closed on Mondays, though during vacation week they are likely to have special hours.

I'm not familiar with Morning Glory B&B except to have seen it mentioned on the forum from time-to-time. The Hawthorne Hotel is lovely and will be decorated and very festive and "New England-y" for the holiday.

I hope you'll enjoy your visit to Salem!

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Morning Glory Bed...
1,361 Reviews
Salem, MA
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
2,072 Reviews
Salem, MA
New England
New England
United States
Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salem in December

I for one, as quaint as Salem is, wouldn't recommend an over-night...it can easily be done in a day: the Peabody Museum is good...House of Seven Gables...ehhh...Witch Museum...ehhh.

The whole witch thing is way over blown.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Salem Witch Museum
Salem Witch Museum
2,595 Reviews
Salem, MA
Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salem in December

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salem in December

I live here and I hate to say it, but I don't see the need to spend an overnight here in December. The Morning Glory B&B is heaven. If you make a reservation as the owner (Jim?) and he can tell you more about what's to do in December. The Morning Glory is directly across the street from the House of Seven G's hich cool. The Hawthorne Hotell is across the street from the pedestrian mall and many attractions. Ask about parking rates if that matters to you. The Hawthorne will be bustling with activity and will feel like a hotel. The MG is a small B&B and will feel like you are staying in a private home. Whichever vibe appeals to you, you should go with.

Mentioned in this post
Morning Glory Bed...
1,361 Reviews
Salem, MA
The Hawthorne
The Hawthorne
148 Reviews
Boston, MA
Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salem in December

Well, I mulled it over and - also taking into account what you guys said - I decided not to spend the night after all and instead stay an additional night in Boston (including a day trip to Salem).

Thanks for your help, guys!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Salem in December

Good choice!!

7. Re: Salem in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 05:16