We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on trip to Salem

New York City
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Help on trip to Salem

Looking for some help regarding a trip i'm planning to salem,mass. ...weekend of oct.8th(fri.nite thru sunday nite)...just me and my girlfriend...looking for advice on where to stay(B&B?, Inns?,etc.)....kinda want to stay within walking distance of salem itself....also info on vegan options(restaurants) we can find there. Not looking to spend a million dollars either, so keep this in mind....attractions/cool things to do. Like the whole haunted thing too. Please help for this trip is coming up soon. Any help much appreciated..thanks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,456 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on trip to Salem

That is Columbus Day weekend ... one of the most popular weekends in New England ... thanks to the changing leaves. Salem's "Haunted Happenings" combined with the fact that there is not a LOT of lodging in Salem itself, means you probably won't find any bargains at places that are in wakling distance of the main Salem sites.

More economical options might include staying in Beverly near the train station or staying in the Rte 1 Peabody/Danvers area and driving to Salem, (but traffic will most likely be heavy and parking tricky).

If you would post your budget per night, people will be more able to hope. 'not a million dollars' doesn't give us much to go by ... is $500 a night ok or are you hoping to keep it under that?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,456 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on trip to Salem

Just remembered ... The Topsfield Fair is that weekend, too. Finding hotel space in Danvers or even Peabody could be tricky, too.

http://www.topsfieldfair.org/

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on trip to Salem

The hotel in Beverly that forgotmypword suggested is Beverly Garden Suites near the North Beverly train station. It offers the advantage of being able to walk across the street and take the commuter rail to Salem. On Columbus Day weekend, the traffic to and from Salem is always extremely heavy and parking in Salem is scarce. The disadvantages of the train are that the trains are not too frequent especially on the weekend (fixed schedule) and do not run very late at night. You can take a taxi back from Salem in the evening, but plan to spend time in traffic.

One restaurant you may be interested in is Rawbert's in downtown Beverly (walking distance from the main Beverly train depot and about 10 minutes by car from North Beverly). Hope you'll enjoy your visit.

http://beverlygardensuites.com/

http://mbta.com/

http://www.organicgardencafe.com/

Edited: 14 September 2010, 18:46
Revere...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on trip to Salem

Hi

I think the Grapevine restaurant in Salem has a vegetarian menu. I just posted on another topic, but for cool things to do, Witch City Segway is offering Segway rides for ten bucks and they are around the corner.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on trip to Salem

Not sure if you will be here on a Thursday, but there is an outdoor farmer's market from 3 PM onward that will have lots of outdoor food and entertainment. Also there is a new green grocery store in downtown Salem called the Green Grocer. Check out the Gulu Gulu Cafe and Haven for lots of crunchy garnola entrees and people. The Greenland Cafe is all organic but veddy pricey. There are twonew taquerias. People often overlook Cilantro Too which is gourmet authentic Mexican food at cut rates.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on trip to Salem

There is also a vegan, raw food restaurant in Beverly near the train station. I am spacing on the name, does anyone remember? The advice to stay in Beverly is sound. This is high season in Salem, when people make the money that supports their businesses for the rest of the year. Have fun, and glad you are coming.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on trip to Salem

The raw food restaurant in Beverly is Rawbert's on Cabot Street. See post #3 right above ;-)

Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on trip to Salem

I am a local veggie myself and would have to say most restaurants in Salem have been fairly accommodating over the years. There is no place with more vegetarian options than Passage to India, all the local cafes are really good about it and have vegetarians and vegans that work at them, but there is not a single place that specializes in cruelty-free food. Rawbert's in Beverly would be worth it if you had time to waste.

South London
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on trip to Salem

vegetarian options aplenty in Salem as I found myself- didnt see much vegan though!

10. Re: Help on trip to Salem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 05:16