We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekdays in Salem

Philly
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weekdays in Salem

Hi,

I'm traveling to Salem next week (oct 4-8). I know it's a busy place on the weekend, but are there large crowds during the week? I'm just trying to plan things out. I want to do a few tours and go to Boston on the Ferry. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekdays in Salem

read the tr from bigcitychitownfan that was just posted. Has lots of ideas about things to do.

Philly
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekdays in Salem

Thanks, but I'm just wanting to get an idea of the crowd size to expect during the week. I already have things in mind what I want to do.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekdays in Salem

I don't think you will find huge crowds in Salem on weekdays in October, especially the beginning of the month when you'll be visiting. On Friday, 10/8, you'll probably see the crowds start to arrive in the afternoon. I think it should be easy to book tours on the spot, but I'm really not certain; it might not hurt to check ahead by phone or email with those that you're most interested in doing.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
711 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekdays in Salem

Agreed, there shouldn't be big crowds during the week in the beginning of October. I just drove through Salem this afternoon and it wasn't crowded.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekdays in Salem

What you may start to see during the week now is school groups on feildtrips. Kids have been in school about a month now, Salem is historic, and plays into their sense of Halloween fun, even if what they are seeing IS historic.

My daughter's 5th grade class went last year, before Columbus Day. My son's 8th grade class is going this year, but not until the last week of the month ....

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekdays in Salem

I just walked thru Salem and the fun has already started, but on a manageable scale. Weekdays will be perfect, you do want the energy that tourists bring. Thursday is farmer's market day from 3 PM onward. Musicians and such will be in Derby Square. No crowds, not to worry...

7. Re: Weekdays in Salem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 05:16