We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

Montreal, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

I love Halloween and all the magic and spooky things that comes with it. Really loved going to Salem, a little bit toooo crowded, but still is a family attraction. No drunk people that I saw, a lot of police everywhere and everyone HAD an incredible costume. My advice, bring your costume with you, nothing to buy there. No bathrooms available anywhere but the portables....

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

Hi Chipotle - common use of the word "pass" in American English means to "skip" or "avoid" but in reading your post, it appears you are encouraging people to go Salem.

Boston...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

My SIL took her eighty something mom and aunt to Salem yesterday and the publicity about not driving must have worked. When she told me she was going I told her she was brave.

She said that there were NO problems getting in or out of Salem and they even got a parking spot on the street - WOW - even on a year when Halloween fell on a weekend!!!

Edited: 01 November 2010, 17:30
Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Pittsfield...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

I was in Salem for this Halloween and it was so much fun. It was my first year and now will be my Halloween destination for many years to come. I loved it. I was dressed as Wonder Woman and my boyfriend was dressed as Thor. We ate at some restaurant that was pretty good, but I can't remember the name. Besides going to the restaurant and glancing in the stores, we didn't do much while we were there. It was a lot of fun just walking around and seeing everyones costumes.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

Hey, glad everyone had fun this year in Salem. The crowds and traffic were a little less intense on Halloween as we locals believe that many people visited on Saturday. We had 100,000 visitors over the month of Halloween!! The real magic in Salem is the fantastic home-made costumes parading by all weekend. Creative people really "do it up" when they visit Salem. It is kinda like Mardi Gras without the booze and gunshots. If you are looking for a great time please come see us; if you are lookin' for trouble, please pass us by as Salem is really, really stringent about no public drunkeness. Not even a little bit. Hope to see everyone in October, 2011.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

For what it's worth I thought that the title meant to avoid too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
2,380 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

I am planning a trip to Salem for this Halloween, how soon do I need to make reservations and which hotel would you recommend for a group of adult women---6. We want to be close to everything with comfortable accomodations.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

Definitely the Hawthorne - lovely , historic in right smack dab in the middle of town

Edited: 19 March 2011, 15:49
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

The Hawthorne is a great recommendation for Salem. However, call them immediately. Hotels in Salem book up very quickly for Halloween and the days preceding, as well October weekends, especially the long Columbus Day weekend. This website provides much information on Salem, including accommodations in the city itself and nearby communities:

http://salem.org/index.shtml

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
738 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

If you know the dates of your stay, I would make reservations now. Salem is incredibly crowded at Halloween. Another hotel to check out is the Salem Waterfront Hotel. It's at Pickering Wharf, which is right in the middle of everything. It's just a few years old, so the rooms will be larger and more modern than the rooms at the Hawthorne.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Salem Waterfront Hotel...
1,754 Reviews
Salem, MA
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
738 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I absolutely recommend to pass Halloween in Salem !

Guess I was typing just as Route128 was posting! Didn't mean to give the same advice twice. Also, as far as hotels, both of them are very nice hotels. It just depends on whether you prefer historic, charming vs. more modern with less charm.

Get answers to your questions about Salem