We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffet?

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Buffet?

I'll be visiting Salem this year with a couple of friends on Columbus Day weekend (hotel is already booked.) This will be our 2nd trip. We enjoyed ourselves so much in 2009 that we decided to do it all again :-)

Last trip we didn't really research dining options and ended up just eating at whatever restaurant happened to be close by when we got hungry, with varied results. So, this time I'm doing a bit of research.

Are there many buffet restaurants in Salem (preferably the type that have an evening buffet of prime rib etc. rather than Chinese food) Or hotels that have a buffet brunch on Sundays?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Trip advisor was a great help in researching for our last trip.

Edited: 10 March 2011, 15:03
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffet?

Victoria Station has an unlimited Salad Bar. Does that count?

http://www.victoriastationsalem.com/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffet?

The Hawthorne Hotel offers a Sunday breakfast buffet and a Sunday prix-fix 3 Course Sunday Jazz Brunch and an option for an all you can eat Sunday brunch/buffet.

www.hawthornehotel.com/dining/index.htm

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffet?

Thanks for the replies!

I've seen an "all you can eat salad bar" that was a portable cart 2 feet long, lol. I've also experienced the one at Fisherman's Warf was about 60 feet long. Which type is the one at Victoria Station?

I did see the brunch menu from Nathaniels and it looks wonderful. That was what prompted me to post to see if there are other such specials that I didn't happen upon by accident.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffet?

wow, I had no idea that the last remaining Vicky Station is in Salem (I had no idea there were any left anywhere in the world...). Might be worth a trip to Salem just for the nostalgia.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buffet?

Little by little, we will encourage you to go to Salem, Thomas!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buffet?

Victoria Stations salad bar not extravagant but it was the first thing that came to my mind when you asked the question. I know sometimes at lunch they offer the salad bar along with an all you can eat entree. I was there today for lunch and they were offering an all you can eat Fried Fish, Steaks or ribs with the salad bar for $16.00.

The Tavern in Square also offers a Sunday brunch. I have never been to the Salem location but their Cambridge brunch is very good, so I assume it would be the same at their Salem, location.

http://www.taverninthesquare.com/tavsalem/

IF, you have time for it on your trip to Salem, you might be interested in taking the Salem Ferry to Boston. The Langham Hotel in Boston offers a really unique chocolate buffet offered on Saturdays. It's something that is a memorable experience.

…langhamhotels.com/restaurants/chocolate_bar…

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buffet?

The chocolate buffet makes a visit to Boston look better and better.

I just read the reviews for Tavern in the Square and people seemed to have more negative than positive things to say :-( It could be that people feel more compelled to write a review when they're unhappy about something so I'll keep an open mind, lol.

Thanks to everyone on trip advisor for being so helpful in planning our trips to Salem!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buffet?

Oh forget Tavern on the Sqaure, you can microwave your own pre packaged food at home. Vicky Station salad bar is ginourmous. Never measured it in footage but huge, and lovely ocean vistas on a busy and charming pier.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buffet?

Leafpeeper,

I usually agree with you 100% percent but must disagree with the salad bar at Victoria's Station: it's relatively small. I was a little disappointed on my recent visit to Victorian Station, last week. The wharf needed some sweeping up from the winter and the plants outside should have been removed. My view from the window was overshadowed by the dead potted plants and the winter's debris. I hope that they have cleaned up the outside, now that the weather is nicer. I must say my fried clams were delicious and I enjoyed a trip to the salad bar.

10. Re: Buffet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 15:18