We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

Cape Breton Island...
6 posts
Save Topic
Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

Hi =)

My fiance and I will be traveling to Salem the end of September...we have a room booked at the Salem inn, with a great package that includes passes to several museums. Once we arrive at the hotel, we plan on walking to all of the locations. We are very picky eaters and honestly don't want to spend a fortune on "tourist" restaurants. We just like fresh home style food (decent price is a bonus!) Does anybody know of places like this in Salem that are open during Supper hours?

Thanks!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

62 Restaurant might suit you. This rave review intrigues me (they don't say if it would appeal to Canadians however):

necn.com/11/…

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

Can't see this couple enjoying that restaurant. It would help if you said what you mean by home style food. When you say "picky" can you elaborate. Are there certain foods that you can't or prefer not to eat? Are you looking for fast food type restaurants? Diners perhaps? What do you eat when at home or going out in Cape Breton?

Edited: 21 March 2011, 16:16
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

I googled "restaurants for canadians in Salem, MA" and although there are plenty of restaurants, nothing specific for canadians jumped out.

I googled "what do canadians like to eat?" and learned that they like to eat lots of bacon and sausages.

googling "bacon and sausages in Salem, MA" I found this place, which looks perfect:

http://www.polonusdeli.com/product.html

note that this deli lists Canadian Bacon sandwiches on their menu.

Edited: 21 March 2011, 16:39
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

OP, a couple more questions: Do you like fish? Are you willing to drive a few miles to restaurants? I understand that you would prefer to walk, but driving would expand your choices, so just wondering . . . Perhaps you could also have a look at the menus in the following links and let us know how these fit with what you're looking for in terms of selection and price.

www.victoriastationsalem.com/DinnerMenu.aspx

hawthornehotel.com/dining/…TavernMenu2011.pdf

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

When does sarcasm/cynicism cross the line into being just plain insulting to those posting questions in good faith?

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

Sounds like Reds would be perfect for you ..except that I don't believe it is open for supper. I think just breakfast and lunch only, but if your definition of comfort food is the same as mine, you may want to check it out .

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

Other places that come to mind depending again on your definition of comfort food are Rockafella's for good American fare ( steaks, burgers) and Boston Beer Works. I guess those could loosely be considered comfort foods..

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
659 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

There are dozens of restaurants within 3/4 of a mile of the Salem Inn. In addition to the ones mentioned by the other posters (btw, Boston Beer Works' Salem restaurant is called Salem Beer Works and I second that recommendation!), some others are O'Neil's Pub, In a Pig's Eye, Regatta Pub at the Waterfront Hotel, Brothers Deli, The Great Escape (located in the former Salem Jail so the setting's lots of fun), Adriatic, Lobster Shanty, and for more upscale dining Finz, Bella Verona, and The Grapevine.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

Molly..oops..yes I stand corrected. I had Boston Beer Works on the mind from another post.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to eat for picky canadian couple!

tcantarelli, I just took a quick look and I don't see anything approaching insulting. Lots of info has been given and some questions asked so that we can give better information.