We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem during weekend of Sept 10

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Salem during weekend of Sept 10

Is there a big event going on the weekend of Sept 9-11, 2011 or is it always busy on the weekends? I looked for a room for Sept 10 and there were none on TA and only 1 in the downtown area. I checked a few tourism websites and didn't see anything big going on.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salem during weekend of Sept 10

I'm not aware of any big events that weekend, but I just looked at the Hawthorne and Waterfront Hotels and see what you mean about the lack of availability. I wonder if rooms may be blocked for a wedding. It may be worth phoning the hotels directly to inquire about availability. Besides the two hotels, Salem accommodations include the Salem Inn (which currently shows availability for Sept 9-11) and several B&Bs. More accommodation information at these websites:

http://www.salemweb.com/guide/lodging.php

http://salem.org/visit/index.php?grp_ID=1

Edited: 28 April 2011, 18:20
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salem during weekend of Sept 10

Weddings would be my guess too. September is the new June.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salem during weekend of Sept 10

16Traveler16, looking at your other recent posts, I'm guessing that you're planning a driving vacation around New England. If so, you could consider staying at one of the many chain hotels in nearby Peabody or Danvers. The drive to Salem is about 20 minutes.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salem during weekend of Sept 10

Thanks y'all. Yes, we are driving. Most non-chain places want a 2 night stay and we are just in town for one night. I think we'll risk it at the Motel 6 in Danvers. Any idea of how much we should expect to pay for parking Sat night and then again for a half a day on Sunday?

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salem during weekend of Sept 10

I've never been to the Motel 6 in Danvers but have been by it hundreds of times...it's in a good location so you should be fine in that respect...plenty of shopping and restaurants close by. On a weekend getting to Salem shouldn't take you more than 15-20 minutes.

I would recommend trying Marblehead..but you may run into the same 2 night minimum there too.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salem during weekend of Sept 10

Parking in Salem is quite inexpensive and may be free at the times you are going. On a Saturday evening, you may find a metered space on the street; if I recall correctly, meters are in effect only until 6pm. If you arrive early on a Sunday, you'll have another chance at a street space, which should be free on Sunday. Otherwise, you should have no trouble parking in one of the two garages or several municipal lots. Rates are low (nothing like Boston!). This map shows parking facilities:

www.salem.com/Pages/SalemMA_Parking/parkmap

You'll probably be fine at Motel 6, and I realize you're only staying one night, but with a little reluctance, I'll add that the budget hotels (Motel 6, Days Inn, etc) show up with some frequency in the police log in the local newspaper. Two places that offer somewhat lower rates--without the notoriety--are Comfort Inn in Danvers and Beverly Garden Suites in Beverly. They are easily overlooked in search results.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salem during weekend of Sept 10

Thanks for the info about parking and other options - will keep the Motel 6 info in mind before making a final decision.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salem during weekend of Sept 10

You're very welcome. Hope you'll enjoy your New England visit!

9. Re: Salem during weekend of Sept 10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:17