We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Overlap?

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Overlap?

We're visiting Salem the first week of October and we're going to take the Hocus Pocus tour first because we're arriving early in the week. Then we plan to walk around and see most historical spots throughout the week. By that point, would it be pointless to take the "Tales & Tombstones" Trolley Tour? Or does it go to more spots that you won't see by walking the city? Also, does anyone know of any other cruises besides the Mahi Mahi company? Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,150 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Overlap?

I don't know of any other cruises out of Salem. You could take the ferry into Boston and spent some time on the water and exploring Boston. You could take the train to Boston where you'll find several cruise companies offering whale watches, harbor cruises, dinner cruises, etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Overlap?

Other than the entertainment value of such things, I don't think the guided tours in Salem are particularly worth it. That being said, the Hocus Pocus tour is by far the best tour in Salem so after doing that, you may find other tours disappointing.. Hocus Pocus at least provides some accurate information and history.

Rather than the Mahi Mahi tour, I would try to get a ticket for a cruise on the Schooner Fame. They have a 6pm departure which would make a nice sunset cruise.

http://www.schoonerfame.com/main.html

The tickets are a little pricey, but if you keep an eye on the Groupon site, you may get a good deal.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Overlap?

One walking tour of Salem like Hocus Pocus would work well for me. It sounds like you will have lots of time to explore on your own. The guides and interpretive materials at the various sites will give you plenty of information.

In addition to the cruise suggestions offered above, you could also go to Gloucester where some of the whale watches and harbor cruises operate into early October (though some are on a weekend only schedule by then so be sure to check first). Will you have a car? If so, the drive to Gloucester along coastal Route 127 is lovely. Take Route 1A from Salem to Beverly and then pick up 127. If you won't have a car, you can take the commuter rail (Rockport line) from Salem to Gloucester.

If you will have car, you could also consider an Essex River Cruise out of Essex. The scenic views are especially pretty in the fall.

Edited: 05 September 2011, 13:30
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Overlap?

On our last visit to Salem we took one of the walking tours (Haunted Footsteps) and also the Salem Trolley and did end up hearing the same stories on both.

This time we're doing the Ghosts and Legends Trolley at The Witches Cottage for variety.

We enjoyed the trolley tour last trip much more than the walking one as we'd already shopped and toured the city until we had sore feet, so the walking tour was more of a chore than a pleasure. Also, the trolley took us out to Salem Willows and Winter Island, which were't part of the walking tour.

Have a great trip!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Overlap?

Thanks for the info!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Overlap?

There is also a cruise out of Gloucester. A schooner called the Alfred Landon (I think). Not sure how late in the season it runs. I vote for the ferry back and forth to Beantown.

7. Re: Tour Overlap?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 17:16