We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem Willows -- what a treat.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,456 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Salem Willows -- what a treat.

Hot day. Shady picnic table in a grassy area under an ancient sprawling red maple tree. Ocean breeze. Pretty view. Life is good.

There aren't a whole lot of places where you'll find this combination. Most beachy areas near the Boston are mainly sand and sun ... people I know don't like Salem Willows ... and maybe it's not what it was in it's "hey day" but I'm not old enough to remember that ... I'm old enough to remember the long-gone tilt-a-whirl and bumper cars ... but things change. Nonetheless the Willows still is (or mabye once again?) is quite the treasure.

Guess where I went late yesterday afternoon? We packed a picnic, bought lime rickeys at Cindy's Planet and brought popcorn home to enjoy while watching the Celtics on TV.

Visitors

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,456 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salem Willows -- what a treat.

OOOPS ... I some how managed to lose most of my last paragraph.

It should have read: Visitors should stop by during the summer months. The trolley stops there. There are arcades with old and modern games, there's plenty of food options and a few (very few) amusement rides geared towards young kids. I'd considier the old carousel a 'must see' if not a 'must do'. And there's another 60s vintae carousel type ride that has vehicles (cars, motorcycles, fire trucks) instead of horses that is fun to see.

http://salemwillowspark.com/index.html

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salem Willows -- what a treat.

Sounds like you had a good day at one of your favorite places, forgotmypword!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salem Willows -- what a treat.

Big thumbs up to Hobbs Popcorn at Salem Willows. The popcorn is churned in huge antique drums, loaded with real butter and served in brown paper bags to sop up some of that old fashioned butter. Makes me hungry just thinkin' about it!

4. Re: Salem Willows -- what a treat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:15