We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storytelling in Salem

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
762 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Storytelling in Salem

We will be coming to the area in mid-October on a Sat, Sun and Mon and are looking for events with good storytelling and theater. I have already reserved tickets for the two performances at the House of the Seven Gables. I read in an earlier post about Tales at the Witch House, and this is exactly the kind of thing my girls would like. The Derby Square Tours, Cry Witch and the Witches Cottage at Griffen Theater also looked fun. Are there any other lesser-known events/performances along these lines? Thanks.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storytelling in Salem

Gosh, you're going to be busy! You do mean Cry Innocent, not Cry Witch, right? ;-) I'm sure there are more events, but I can't think of any. In the past, Pioneer Village has had guided tour/performances (presented by Gordon College, as is Cry Innocent), but I don't know about this year. Is Count Orlok on your itinerary? I've never been there, but it seems like a place you might enjoy. You might also consider the two movies on the witchcraft hysteria, one at the NPS Visitors Center, the other at CinemaSalem. Each is about 30 minutes long.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
762 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storytelling in Salem

Yes- I did mean Cry Innocent. Cry Witch was a similar producation that we saw in Colonial Willamsburg, VA years ago! Thanks. Count Orlok looked lame to me but my girls will surely like it. Thanks for the heads up about the two films. They look interesting also.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storytelling in Salem

If you do go to one or both movies, I'll be interested in hearing what you think. I've only seen the NPS film and think it's quite good. The one at CinemaSalem seems to be shown on a very irregular schedule (but in October I'm sure the schedule will not only be regular, but frequent as well) and I've yet to catch it.

Just looked back at earlier posts and realized that you already knew about Pioneer Village. Sorry for repeating. I was also reminded that you're staying in Danvers. If you have time, you may want to visit the Rebecca Nurse Homestead there. It's very low-key (no performances), but a good place to consider the witchcraft hysteria in a truly historic setting (unlike much of what you'll find in Salem). If there's an archaeologist onsite, it's especially interesting (you can call and ask).

Connors Farm in Danvers has a corn maze and Halloween activities, including perhaps, ghost stories. I've never been to the maze (been to the farm often), but it's very popular. Just noticed that the theme of this year's maze is "The witches of Salem."

http://www.rebeccanurse.org/

http://www.connorsfarm.com/index.htm

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
762 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storytelling in Salem

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to post a trip report.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storytelling in Salem

We went to see the movies metioned above on our last two trips to Salem (we saw The True 1692 last October and the film at the visitor centre on our more recent trip in July) We enjoyed both films - didn't have a favorite and as we saw them several months apart, it's hard to compare. The True 1692 is in 3D and is told in the first person for at least some of the movie while the one at the visitor centre is more like something you'd see on the history channel with re-enacted scenes followed by interviews with historians. Both were worth seeing and each gave a different slant to the story (i.e. who was to blame). If I'm not mistaken (which I may be as I'm not from the area) it looked like some of the films were shot at the Rebecca Nurse homestead. Can someone confirm? If so, it would be worth making a visit there if you're going to see the films.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Storytelling in Salem

Yes, PEIPaleskin, you're correct. The NPS production was filmed at the Nurse Homestead, as well as at the Witch House (the exterior anyway, can't remember if it included the interior). All of the filming was done locally. Thanks for the comparison of the movies, too!

I agree the Nurse Homestead would be a good stop if you have time. The Homestead's replica Meeting House was built for the film, Three Sovereigns for Sarah (available at Netflix, I think). The original Meeting House was located about a mile away.

7. Re: Storytelling in Salem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 10:15