We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

My mom and I are staying in Danvers, but spending most of the day in Salem the last week of October. Where's a place in that immediate area you recommend to get amazing clam chowder?

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

In Salem, consider Finz or the Tavern at the Hawthorne Hotel. You could also try Legal Seafoods in nearby Peabody. You'll find many different opinions about Legals, but I like their chowder.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

That's good to know that Tavern has good chowder. My mom and I were planning on going there anyway for dinner that night. I will probably go somewhere for chowder for lunch. I saw a place called New England Soup Factory. Is it any good there?

Edited: 27 September 2012, 19:05
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

Real New Englanders eat FIsh Chowder, not Clam Chowder. Legal Seafood has the best fish chowder evah. Please get you some! I think NE Soup factory is run by an Indian fellow, not sure they have chowder at all. But, he has great soups and sandwiches they go down well on a blustery Salem day.

Boston...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

Whatever new England soup factory makes is good.

I usually get their beef stew which is off the charts great.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

We have Legal Seafoods down here, though. Looking for more of a local place.

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

Beyond the Tavern and Finz there aren't too many good chowder places in Salem. I would take a ride to Marbelhead go to The Barnacle..best clam chowder and bisque in that area. Some of the soups from NE Soup Factory are really good..but the chowder is not one of them.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

I think The Barnacle is a great idea! It will give you a chance to see Marblehead, too.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

The Barnicle is right on the water, so they have beautiful harbor views. It is hard to find and hard to park there, so make sure you print out directions and know where to park. If it is a nice day, ditch your car in public parking in M'head and just walk to the Barnicle. Then you can walk to Fort Sewall which is out on a point just past the Barnicle. Lots of wild ocean waves crashing in and glorious views at Fort Sewall. Ask in the M'head forum about where to park.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
675 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

It's mostly on-street parking in Old Town Marblehead, where the Barnacle is located. There's a small public lot at the public landing on Front St., the same street as the Barnacle and a 5 minute walk. If you're coming on a weekday, I would think you'd have no problem finding a place to park. Just be aware that, that late in the season, the Barnacle's patio overlooking the harbor will probably be closed and the dining room is rather small, cramped, and no frills. The chowder is delicious, though, and Marblehead is a beautiful town to visit. If you decide to stay in Salem, I'll echo the previous recommendations of Finz.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good restaurant for New England clam chowder.

The Salem Chowderfest is tomorrow (Sat., Oct. 6) from 11am-2pm at Pickering Wharf. I know this won't help you, Rach84, but others may be interested in sampling.

http://www.wxrv.com/pages/pages.php?page=541