We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Salem--with teens

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Salem--with teens

Hello,

I plan to take a day trip to Salem in late June with teen girls and my husband. I have an idea of some of the things we would like to do/see. Can you give me advice on how to organize my day and whether my plan is practical? We are driving. Suggestions for casual restaurants are eagerly sought. Reds Sandwiches sounds good.

Interested in:

Pirate museum

NPS visitor center movie: Salem witch hunt--examine the evidence

The Salem museum

Salem witch trials memorial

Corwin house

House of 7 gables

Ye olde pepper candy company

I suspect that is too much for one day. Which attractions would you prioritize (recognizing that candy and or ice cream is always a priority!).

Thank you,

Katrina

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Salem--with teens

I went to the Pirate Museum a few years ago when my son was 6. That is the perfect age to go as the museum was very simple, maybe a bit cheesy and old, but the 6 year old did not see that; he just liked pirates. I thought it was a bit pricey for the quality of the exhibits.if the teen girls are any older than about 13, I would give this a miss.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,472 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Salem--with teens

I think you have a nice day planned and agree with BooKat that you could skip the Pirate Museum. Going to the Salem Museum and Salem Witch Hunt movie early in the day will set a good foundation for the rest of the day; call for the movie times rather than relying on times found on the web. Then go to the Witch Trials Memorial and also to the Old Burying Point beside it, and then on to the Corwin House. Red's is a good lunch stop. Gulu-Gulu is another. End your day at Ye Olde Pepper Company and the House of the Seven Gables, which starts its last tour at closing time (but do check before you go). If you leave your car downtown and walk there, you'll have a nice look at old homes and the tall ship Friendship along the way.

Cry Innocent is great for teens, IMHO, and would fit well with the rest of your day, but unfortunately doesn't start until July. You'll still have plenty to do. Hope you and your family will enjoy!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
233 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Salem--with teens

Teens (14,15, &16) that have visited us in Salem loved Gulu Gulu cafe, loved Salem Willows, and really liked the witch museum. They also enjoyed getting lunch at the Great Escape. Mostly they loved walking the pedestrian mall and checking out the shops on Essex Street. These particular girls were bored at the House of Seven Gables, but begged to get their fortunes read down at Pickering Wharf. I agree you should skip the pirate museum and also agree that Red's is a good lunch choice. Ducking into Ye Ol Pepper and then grabbing ice cream at Captain Dusty's would probably make them very happy. Hope you have an enjoyable time!

4. Re: One day in Salem--with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 06:15