We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Witch without kitch

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Witch without kitch

Hello all. We (2 adults) will be traveling to Salem on a Sunday to make a full day trip as part of a larger Boston trip. I'm extremely excited, due in large part to being very fascinated by topics like magic and witchcraft--I seriously geek out on the stuff. I also want to enjoy a charming historic New England seaside village. With just one full day, how can I get the most out of the trip? What I've heard about the various museums is that they tend to be more about entertainment and tourist kitch than anything else--I'm wondering if we should skip them and check out the metaphysical shops instead. Considering possibly the Salem Witch Walk? Is anybody familiar enough to make a recommendation?

Also I want to get a sense of history, and from what I've heard, a lot of people find the House of the Seven Gables to be worthwhile.

Finally, any vegetarian-friendly eating recommendations? If we decide to go for a fancy meal, is Nathaniel's the best option?

All the best,

John

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
727 Reviews
Salem, MA
Nathaniel's
Nathaniel's
306 Reviews
Salem, MA
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
127 Reviews
from US$56.00*
US$59.00
Salem Witch City Day Trip From Boston
235 Reviews
from US$56.00*
Salem Voodoo Vampires and Ghosts...
217 Reviews
from US$16.00*
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Witch without kitch

I think you'll find kitch in many of the witch-themed attractions; this also true for shops, but they're all in pretty close proximity so it will be easy enough to see if they have what you're looking for and pass on the ones that don't. You may want to visit the Witch House (Corwin House) for some straightforward history of the witchcraft delusion of 1692. The House of the Seven Gables is an interesting place to learn about Nathaniel Hawthorne and some of Salem's literary history.

I like Gulu Gulu Cafe, which has some vegetarian options. You could also check out Life Alive Cafe (I've never been). Other places besides Nathaniel's for a fancier meal with some vegetarian options include 43 Church and Bella Verona. If you will have a car, also consider Organic Garden Cafe in Beverly for one of your meals.

Two more thoughts: The Peabody Essex Museum, which focuses on Salem's maritime history and also includes some historic homes, is Salem's gem. You may also want to spend some time in nearby Marblehead, which, more than Salem, matches your description of a quaint seaside village.

Hope you'll have a great visit.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Witch without kitch

If you are interested in magic and witchcraft you'd probably enjoy the Salem Witch Walk. I went on the tour on a previous visit to Salem and several of the others attending the tour when I went were pagans and/or witches - you could tell because when we did a brief ritual at the beginning of the Witch Walk they all knew to repeat "So Mote It Be" after the tour guide :-) Everyone seemed to enjoy the tour very much and I didn't see even one person rolling eyes at the information given by the guide (Thomas). Along with the history of Salem, the tour also includes and overview of what modern day witches believe and do (ex: the difference between Wiccan and Witch)

When I've visited Salem I've always tended to skip the witch museums and focus more on the shops. The performance events that happen during October are great, too, but if you're visiting now they wouldn't be an option. I'll be visiting again in June and our plan is to do the Salem Witch Walk (or possibly Spellbound Tours) the movie at the Salem Visitor Centre, Count Orlok's (because it's always had a long line up in October when we've been in Salem on previous visits) and some shopping at the various witch shops.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Witch without kitch

There is much more in Salem than the witches so if you want a witch-diversion visit the Peabody-Essex Museum or Salem Maritime.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Witch without kitch

Scratch Kitchen, downtown near Derby wharf has all organic veg option. Live Alive is a trip, it is just like taking a time machine back to some California hippie heyday of the 70's. Does anyone know when Opus will open? It will be all organic, big fancy restaurant. But it is currently closed for renovations. Poke your head into the Milk and Honey market for lots of interesting, organic, veggie snack options (pricey though).

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Witch without kitch

leafpeeper98, a Salem News article of a few weeks ago said Opus would open in mid-June. It sounds like a little much for Salem, IMHO. I miss Greenland Cafe!

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Witch without kitch

aw c'mon Rte 128 Live a Little!!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Witch without kitch

Not big on change am I, leafpeeper98? I really miss Greenland--one of your posts introduced me to the place, I think!

8. Re: Witch without kitch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 07:16