We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Salem

PA
Level Contributor
304 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Salem

We are planning to spend one day in Salem and would like to park our car in a central location and walk around. We are healthy people, but we don't want to wear ourselves out or spend too much time walking, so please tell me if this plan is unreasonable.

I want to start our day at the NPS Visitors Center and also visit the Witch Memorial, Corwin House and House of Seven Gables and, possibly Pirate Museum (I know, I know, but my teen girls are fascinated by pirates). For lunch, I'm considering Red's, Victoria Station or New England Soup Company. Hoping to visit Ye Old Pepper Candy Company, too.

Is there a parking lot/location you would recommend? I'd be grateful for any itinerary tips, too.

Thank you,

Katrina

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,426 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Salem

There is an indoor garage at the East India Mall, very close to the visitor's center. Plot all the places on a map and plan the most direct walking path. The places are fairly close together.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Salem

Hi Katrina, Your plan sounds fine. You can park in the Museum Place garage right across from the NPS Visitors Center. The rates are very reasonable and it's a central spot. The House of the Seven Gables is the most distant of the sites you plan to visit, and it does offer free parking (but only while you are visiting there and maybe Ye Old Pepper Candy if you're quick). However, it's really not far from downtown and is a nice walk, which takes you past the NPS Maritime Historic Site including Derby Wharf and the tall ship, Friendship. I'd park at Museum Place and just leave the car for the day..

One addition to your plans could be movie, The Salem Witch Hunt: Examine the Evidence, shown a few times a day at the Visitors Center; there is a fee for tickets.

Here's a link to a parking map that may be helpful:

www.salem.com/Pages/SalemMA_Parking/parkmap

Hope you will enjoy your visit!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Salem

Hi Katrina. If you are up for a bit of time spent walking, the plan of parking only once by the Visitors Center works perfectly. If you doubt your fitness (LOL) and want to cut the most walking out, you could also visit the House of the Seven Gables and Ye Olde Pepper Companie first and park there then park at the Visitors Center for everything else. The walk between the two locations is notable, but pleasant, because that walk essentially *is* the Salem waterfront. Hope you enjoy your trip.

- John

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Salem

The Salem Trolley is another way to get around the city. It offers a narrated tour and hop-on/hop-off privileges for the day. However, it really is only about a half mile from the NPS Visitors Center to the House of the Seven Gables, and as john_laury said above, there's plenty to see and do along the way. There is also a red line painted on the side walk (and shown on maps) that can be helpful in making a route from place-to-place. If you want more candy ;-) consider a stop at Harbor Sweets. Call ahead and see if you can tour the factory. You probably want to drive there. Parking is available in a small lot and on the street.

5. Re: Parking in Salem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 07:16