We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from the salem train station to downtown

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Topic
getting from the salem train station to downtown

i will be in salem this sunday june 15th, arriving by train...i will head downtown, to pickup the salem trolley tour., probably their stop at the witch history museum,.can i walk to this location ? and if so, how long would it take? if it is too long of a walk, is there a bus? and can someone give me directions....thanks

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from the salem train station to downtown

Just follow the red line, it is a short walk. They are doing some construction at the train station so you might need to ask someone to point you in the right direction if the walk-way next to the station is blocked off from the construction.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
159 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from the salem train station to downtown

Basically from the train station, cross the street and you are a block or two from downtown. Enjoy, lots to do.

Somerville
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from the salem train station to downtown

The Salem Trolley website says that a "Courtesy shuttle provided at the MBTA Commuter Rail Station, Washington Street, Salem to the National Park Visitors Center ." http://salemtrolley.com/tour-details-2.html

It looks like the site hasn't been updated for 2014 so this may no longer be true.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from the salem train station to downtown

I called the Salem Trolley because I wondered if they were still running the courtesy shuttle from the train station given the construction going on at the station. Currently, they are not because there is not a good pick-up spot. If you want to use the Trolley, the very helpful person I spoke with on the phone suggested using the stop at the Witch Dungeon on Lynde Street; she said the pick-up there is at 45 minutes past the hour. Once you exit the station area it's less than a 5-minute walk. Alternatively, she suggested going to the Trolley Depot on the Essex Street pedestrian mall where the pick-ups are on the hour and at 40 past the hour (I think; call to be certain). That walk should take a little more than 5 minutes. Follow Remay's directions in post #1. Here's a link to a map that shows the red line trail:

salem.org/uploads/documents/SALEM253_City_Gu…

5. Re: getting from the salem train station to downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 06:15