We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 2 years old too young for Seaworld?

texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is 2 years old too young for Seaworld?

I was thinking about bringing my 2 1/2 year old daughter to San Antonio for a few days. Is she too young for Seaworld to really enjoy it or is there still plenty of things to see and do to keep her interest (typical 2 year old attention span-pretty short!). Also, are there any other things to do (besides the zoo) that anyone recommends?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 2 years old too young for Seaworld?

SeaWorld doesn't charge admission for kids under the age of 3, but it will cost you alone $60 to get through the gate (1 adult admission + parking). Since SeaWorld -- unlike Sesame Place in PA, for example -- is not geared towards the pre-school set, I myself would be reluctant to spend that kind of money for what could turn out to be (due to crowds, heat, sensory overload and/or boredom on her part) a short visit.

Here are 2 alternatives for your consideration:

** the Children's Musuem, which includes a special area for those under 6 & charges only $7

http://www.sakids.org

** the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch, a "safari park" that has a petting zoo & a walk-through area in addition to the drive-your-own-car safari trail. No charge for children under 3; adult tix are $15.50, but there's a coupon on the Passes page for a $1.50/ticket discount. Plus, they encourage you to bring in your own food & picnic there (altho' they do have a snack bar) which would be more relaxing & less expensive than the usual theme park eatery.

http://www.wildliferanchtexas.com

My parents took my son to a similar kind of place in Ohio when he was your daughter's age, and he loved it!

San Diego, CA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 2 years old too young for Seaworld?

I took my 2 year old to SeaWorld and we lasted a little under 4 hours. There wasn't much in terms of holding his attention very long, and we only got to sit through one show (albeit halfway). The most they have there are shows so if your 2 year old is still in the "not sitting still" stages (which mine is), then it's almost a waste of money for you. We were lucky to have free tickets but had we paid, it would have been painful to leave so early.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 2 years old too young for Seaworld?

Unless you have a talented and gifted 2 year old it would be a waste of money...It would be like bringing a 2 year old to Europe,or even the Grand Canyon..Better to wait and let her enjoy being 2...At that age I just wanted to play(and be mischiveous)...

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 2 years old too young for Seaworld?

There are two water areas at Sea World both would be fun for a two year old. One tactic might be to get a two day pass to give you more flexibility. I agree with the previous posters that traveling anywhere with a two or three year old is problematic at best. Simple things often are more fun for them than expensive theme parks. When my daughters were 6 and 3, we'd ride the city bus downtown to the "big" library, spend an hour or so, then go to the McDonald's on the river. They thought this was the best Saturday outing.

5. Re: Is 2 years old too young for Seaworld?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 12:20