We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

Hi All!

I just found out I will be traveling to San Antonio for business July 8th through July 13th. I will have 1 afternoon (Sunday) to myself and am wondering how I can best spend it.

This will be my first trip to San Antonio. Besides the required trip to The Alamo what are some other local favorites?

Thanks for your time!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

With only one afternoon free, yes, the Alamo, then maybe one or two of the other missions. Mission San Jose is my favorite, and Concepción is very nice too. Finish up by strolling the Riverwalk.

Although I've been a huge advocate of al fresco dining along the river, our past few experiences have been plagued by flies and in one case a worse gift from the skies than that. ;> You might prefer dining inside instead. For your free meal in the evening try Boudros, being sure to get their guacamole, made table-side, and if you can do this for lunch, the Guenther House. The above will more than fill your day. Hope the weather clears for you! It looks as if the odds for rain are finally decreasing for the weekend.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

Oh...better yet, rather than just strolling the Riverwalk, do one of the barge tours and you'll pick up some of the history of the area in the process.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

The Zoo

McNay Art Museum

Brunch at either the Guenther House has great breakfasts http://www.guentherhouse.com/Main.aspx or Mad Hatters

Both are near Bluestar Art Galleries - San Angel Folk Art Gallery is one of my favorites and is open on Sundays. You can check in at the Guenther House (the wait is a little on the long side on weekends) and then walk across the street to the BlueStar.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

Great advice from the O'Pros!..Breakfast at the Guenther..Segway tour of King William..Or a Mission..Alamo..Lunch at El Mirador...Take in a Musuem...Happy Hour at La Fogata...Dinner at Boudro's(obligatory tableside Guacamole)..Walk off your meal on the River..Nightcap at Swigs...Private massage in your room...Hot Tub...Lights Out............Born in Jersey,raised in NY,Kickin in SA....

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

I just got back from San Antonio and ejoyed my time there. One evening I ate at Casa Del Rio, on the Riverwalk. It's got good Mexican food at very reasonable prices. Also you might want to try Steers and Beers which has some good steaks and ribs and great atmosphere. Ask for Jonothan to serve you at Steers and Beers, he's a hoot.

new jersey
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

You guys (or should I say y'all ;-) ) have been a great help, thanks so much!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

The 2 main things to do Is the Alamo and the barge tour on SA River. You may want to check out a couple of the missions and the San Fernando Cathedral. You could also take a trolley to the King William district or to the Market Square (Mercado). You could also go to the Tower of America or Buckhorn's Saloon & Museum. You could do some shopping at the Rivercenter Mall. After dinner, you could go to the Rivercenter Comedy Club for a few good laughs. I am guessing you are staying downtown.

new jersey
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

Just wanted to give a quick update...

Yesterday I visited the Alamo first thing then walked the River Walk. After that I headed to Mission San Jose and got there just in time to catch one of the park ranger led tours. The tour was really informative and the grounds are so lovely. Honestly, I enjoyed this more than the Alamo (maybe because the Alamo was so crowded).

Once I finshed up at Mission San Jose I decided to head to the other three Missions (Misson San Juan, Mission Espada, Mission Concepcion). The only one I didn't get to spend time at was Mission San Juan (I arrived after the closing time).

I was able to take many pleasant photographs along the way and also crossed paths with some very nice people.

I didn't get the chance to eat at the restuarants mentioned above but am sure I'll get the chance to do so one evening this week.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

9. Re: Best Way to Spend This Sunday Afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 06:19