We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip planned, advice needed

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trip planned, advice needed

I am planning a trip to San Antonio next year and I am doing my research. I'm currently looking at hotels/bed and breakfasts in the area. I've been reading reviews, and of course, on many hotels some rave about how great it was while others say they had a terrible experience.

What hotels/bed and breakfasts would you all recommend?

One thing I must point out is that I am legally blind so I don't drive, and a hotel/bed and breakfast close to the best spots would be most preferable. I am able to walk on my own (without a cane or seeing eye dog) so if I have to walk a few blocks to get somewhere that is okay (as long as the neighborhood is safe).

Any help is appreciated

Al T.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip planned, advice needed

I would expect one of the large full-service hotels w/concierege might be best. I'd recommend Hilton Palacio del Rio, the Westin, or maybe the Mansion del Rio. Hilton and Mansion are closest to everhthing (Alamo, restaurants, etc...) Westin is on the river, but on a more secluded stretch of real estate.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip planned, advice needed

I would recomment the Menger Hotel for you. It is an older historical hotel and sits literally between the Alamo (a few steps away) and RiverCenter Mall (immediately out the side door. It has a great restaurant called The Colonial Room which has not been changed much since 1850 and the food is reasonable and wonderful. It is in walking distance of just about everything. La Villita and Hemisfair Plaza are also in walking distance as is the Majestic Theatre where Broadway touring companies perform and an antique mall is close by. Also, in it's bar is where Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip planned, advice needed

i concur with the Menger. It is in the best location and has probably better prices for rooms than the other hotels mentioned - not that there is anything wrong with them - they are great! Especially La Mansion! Another thing to do is Ripley's Believe it or Not, which is across the street from the Alamo. When at the Alamo, don't miss the gardens behind the Alamo, which have huge cactus patches and other native plants. Enjoy SA!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: trip planned, advice needed

Ditto on the Menger. We stay there all the time. The rooms are great, and fairly reasonable as far as price. The location is the best. The Hilton on the riverwalk would be my next choice.

New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: trip planned, advice needed

Thanks for the tips. After doing research, I'm really hyped about the trip and decided to go this year (late September) instead of next. I think you all sold me on the Menger.

thanks again!

AT