We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several San Antonio questions (transportation related)

Boston...
Level Contributor
344 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Several San Antonio questions (transportation related)

I will be in San Antonio for a couple days in early October and I was wondering if cabs can be hailed on the street or if it is necessary to call for one when you need it? For example, I'll be staying at the Westin Riverwalk, but was considering going to Rosario's for dinner one night. I will be by myself, so will not want to walk back in the evening---do I need to call for a cab ahead of time or can i just grab one on the street?

Also, I am aware that some areas of the Riverwalk are more crowded than others. I think I'm of the impression that the area the Westin is in is less busy than some other places. If this is the case, how unbusy is it? Is it safe enough for a person alone to walk back there at night from other Riverwalk/Rivercenter Mall locations (I'm talking no later than 9-10pm).

Thanks

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Several San Antonio questions (transportation related)

You have a couple of responses on that "other forum". ;>

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,449 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Several San Antonio questions (transportation related)

Not exactly sure because I don't use cabs here, but I do not recall seeing folks hailing cabs from the street. Walking along the Riverwalk is safe during the times you mention.

Haiku
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Several San Antonio questions (transportation related)

There are tons of hotels near RiverCenter end of RW; head to one of the taxi stands in front of hotels, but in Westin area and all along main sections of RW from La Valitta to Conv. Ctr to RiverCenter/Alamo to Auditorium has lots of establishments, people AND police presence, on foot and on bike patrol. There is also our river taxi ... a very cool way to navigate the maze of downtown SA.

We work near RW and walk back and forth, all around, all times of day and night ... will be fine.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Several San Antonio questions (transportation related)

You can take the trolley in the downtown area. Ask for a transfer

and the return trip is included. I think round trip is $1.00

The river taxi is not worth the effort in my opinion.

Taxi stands are numerous. Always in front of the Hyatt, Hilton.