We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souveniers?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Souveniers?

What are some good souveniers to bring home from San Antonio? I am from Connecticut and will be in SA this weekend for a business trip. I am especially interested in "food" type souveniers.

Thanks!!!!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,090 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souveniers?

Hot sauce would be a logical choice.

If you find a local HEB grocery store, that would be the easiest and cheapest. They carry some of the hot sauce from local restaurants....La Fogata, Jacala.

DL Jardines is probably the easiest to find in

souvenir shops.

Lammes Candies=chocolate covered pecans, pralines etc.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Souveniers?

I agree with the other response, especially the hot sauce. Also keep your eyes peeled for traditional Mexican candies.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souveniers?

I keep meaning to do this, but forget to ask whenever I'm there. One of my friends tells me you can buy Rosario's salsa from them and it is WONDERFUL. Scari, it's a terrific place to eat as well if you have an evening (or lunch) free to eat where you choose, and if you get a bottle of their salsa, it'd save a trip to the grocery store. The closest one to downtown that my DH found when he was living in the hotel prior to our move, was Central Market, which is a real treat. HEB otherwise...well, never mind... :>

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souveniers?

I agree with hot sauce, pecan pies, pralines, Texas peanut brittle in the shape of Texas. You could go to the Rivercenter mall and check out things there.

They have a lot of souvenirs that are food items.

The best would be tamales or tacos but that would be a little hard to take back unless you got something to take them in.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souveniers?

If you go to HEB (and Central Market HEB in particular) you can find many local/regional foods. Texas shaped foods - cheese, chips, crackers are always a big hit with my out of state friends.

Sweet bread from Mi Tierra

Tamales from Delicious Tamales

If you're interested in a road trip - barbecue from Smitty's in Lockhart

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souveniers?

If you like to cook,a cookbook with local SW recipes would be nice...I grew up in NY and never had good Mexican or Tex-Mex foods until I moved here...I do not care for them,but you may like some mexican candies and pralines..If you like spicy try some jalapeno based marmalades...And of course salsas...

Houston
Level Contributor
305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souveniers?

There are several good Mexican bakeries downtown Non food souvenirs might include Mexican items(toys,blankets,blouses,ceramics) or anything western such as cowboy hats. There are also cute Davy Crockett hats everywhere.

8. Re: Souveniers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio