We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and out-and-about Adventure in San Antoino

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maidstone, Kent
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking and out-and-about Adventure in San Antoino

We would be grateful please for readers advice on whether it would be wise to spend a full 2 weeks in San Antonio. We love hiking and the great outdoors but my wife suffers from bites by flying insects. Is this a problem in SA? We also love mining for semi-precious gens, we spent a week last year in Arkansas mining for Crystals which was out of this world! Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated. UK to USA is a long way to go to make a mistake!

Charlottetown, PE
Level Contributor
319 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and out-and-about Adventure in San Antoino

Hi: One critical question: when are you planning to visit? Time of year will have a significant influence on what you may be able to see/do outdoors.

In terms of flying insects, my experience has been that they are not bad in San Antonio - spent a lot of time cycling/camping in the country during my time there and was never bothered by them. However, has your wife had the misfortunte to experience fire ants? They are nasty little creatures with a formidible bite and are very common in the SA area. If your wife is very sensitive to insect bites, you may want to do some research on fire ants before deciding.

Here is one possible suggestion in the mean time. Perhaps one+ week in San Antonio area (including Hill Country or Gulf Shore), plus a trip out to West Texas/Big Bend National Park?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking and out-and-about Adventure in San Antoino

Definitely make a trip to the hill country. There is Enchanted Rock, Garner State Park. Also, there is the Guadalupe River to explore.

…state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/hill_country/

"In South Texas, fire ants live and die by only one thing: rainfall."

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking and out-and-about Adventure in San Antoino

Time of year really does matter! Coming from the UK, you would not want to be hiking June through Sept, most likely. I moved here from FL, and even I don't like it then for hiking! (We are big hikers too, our favorite outing since we moved away from water.)

2ndly, no matter the time of year, two weeks is a bit too long, IMHO. The best hiking is north and west of the city, in the Hill Country, but they are limited hikes of a day's duration or less. Big Bend would be wonderful if you weren't coming in the warmest months.

Flying insects: I'm not so much bothered by the flying ones, as by the crawling ones, ones that you can't see until you begin to itch like crazy. Chiggers, which will find you in grassy areas, can't be seen under normal circumstances, but their bites (which you can't feel either when it happens) will drive you crazy--worse than the worst mosquito bites. The welts I get range from quarter to half dollar size and last 4-5 days. I've tried long pants, hiking pants with repellent built into the fabric, bug spray, and shower and scrub right after, but one or more gets through none-the-less. All summer my lucky husband gets to do our gardening. All I can do outside is mow, as I'm moving too fast for them to get me then. :>

Fire ants you can see before you get there. They build mounds...avoid the anthills and you'll avoid them too.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking and out-and-about Adventure in San Antoino

The flying bugs aren't that bad in SA. There is allot of places you can go hiking in the SA area. You may want to spend a couple of days in West Texas or the Gulf Coast.

Some places to go hiking that is around SA is

Hillview Trail N. of SA 3.2 miles

Friedrick Park trail 2.3 rugged

Hill Country Creek & Canyon Trek 7.8 hike

Mystic Canyon 50 miles SW of Kerrville about 4.5 mi

Cascade Caverns with a waterfall & very pretty

http://cascadecaverns.com

You may need to spend a night to do this one which is the Caverns of Sonora about 170 miles west of SA on IH 10 http://www.cavernsofsonora.com

to check out others you can go the this website

http://www.trails.com/activity.asp?area=12444

or

…state.tx.us/spdest/…government_canyon

For Tours around SA & the area check out this website

www.SanAntonioTours.net

or

www.buySanAntonioTours.com

Another great tour is the Natural Bridge Cavern

is a delicate-crystalline formation & natural stone, it has an Aquifer tour & panning for hidden gems & minerals are available there.

Enchanted Spring Ranch is also very nice.

We have a great Earth Sciences Museum & Witte museum

Outside of SA places to visit is

Garner State Park

Lost Maples State Natural area

Hill Country State Natural area

Eisenhower & Medina River has 68 miles of hiking trails,

Crownridge Canyon

you can check these out on this website which is

www.sanantonio.gov/sapar.

There are many more out there but I think this will give you a good start for looking & to see if this is what you are looking for or not. I hope you find what you are looking for in a stay & to keep you busy on your visit in SA.

5. Re: Hiking and out-and-about Adventure in San Antoino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 16:17