We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Palacio Del Rio

OKC
7 posts
Save Topic
Hilton Palacio Del Rio

I am going with a group to San Antonio who want to stay here at the Hilton. After reading some of the reviews of this hotel, I'm hesitant to book a room. The location seems to be it's best asset. The parking isn't desirable being two blocks away. Others complained about the noise and the cleanliness. It seems a little pricey at $509 for two nights plus $44 plus tax for parking. With food expenses, shopping and gas, this is easily a $1000 trip for two. Is everything this expensive in San Antonio and is the Hilton really as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

No everything is not that expensive in SA. I believe SA is moderate price in most areas.

Hilton is a very nice hotel, & usually very clean.

I had friends who stayed there during the holidays & found it very nice & clean, there can always be exception from time to time, I guess. They have a fun bar below which is Durty Nelly's.

Have a great time in SA.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

I do think that downtown hotels in SA are overpriced. Someone is paying those prices... otherwise, they wouldn't be at that level.

The Hilton parking (RiverBend garage)is part of a city of SA garage. The distance is only a few hundred yards. But, why pay extra to have your car valet parked when it is a public garage?...you'll save money by doing it yourself. (The Hilton has the top levels of the garage reserved. Once you arrive in downtown, you should park your car and leave it until you are ready to leave).

There are plenty of other hotel choice 1 or 2 blocks

off the river. They will be less expensive.

ex:THoliday Inn Express on S. St. Mary's that

is very convenient to the river. Have you checked into Residence Inn on Bonham ST.? Or Hampton Inn

Austin, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

Stayed at this location a few weeks ago and have stayed on the riverwalk a few other times. The Palacio is really a great place - location, room and room size, cleanliness, charm. Also, the buffet breakfast was fantastic. Pricey, but worth it for a special get away. Would suggest Mexican Manhattan for a great mexican dinner. On Soledad street, abotu 15 minute walk from the Palacio. Great food, very reasonable and greta outside patio that you would never gues was there based on fron appearance.

Good luck - have a great trip

US
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

We have used priceline checked 4 star riverwalk and was able to secure a good price of $60 and it was the Hilton. You don't know the hotel you're getting, but when you check 4 star it seems to work out well. Good luck.

There is a noise issue downtown. Dumpsters get emptyed around 4 am during the week.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

Ditto on the PriceLine for downtown SA. I just used it for Chicago suburbs and got a Hyatt for $37 a night.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

Yup, Priceline is a good deal if there is availability in the city. I track winning bids both in this area and Tampa still and haven't seen rates for a 4* like Octoboy got for Chicago since the 9/11 days either here or Tampa. Was that a Regency Octoboy or a Hyatt Place? Pretty incredible.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

Yup, Priceline is a good deal if there is availability in the city. I track winning bids both in this area downtown, and Tampa still, and haven't seen rates for a 4* like Octoboy got for Chicago since the 9/11 days, either here or Tampa. Was that a Regency Octoboy or a Hyatt Place, and a 4*? Pretty incredible deal, no matter.

The lowest winning bid I've seen for downtown 4* this year is $90 for an early January stay. There was a $75 win for the Hilton at the beginning of last August, and one other 75 (at Emily Morgan) for June of last year. Priceline can make for big savings, but it has to be at a lower occupancy period. There are extremely sophisticated computer programs which track city occupancy into the future using all sorts of variables--historical, citywides on the books, current group business on the books at individual hotels, projected group business etc, by which hotels decide whether or not to even release rooms for Priceline bidding, now or at a future date. It is often impossible to get an excellent winning bid too far in advance, so don't give up if you try several months out and are rejected. It could be projected occupancy figures change the closer to the date you get, and rooms that were not available to Priceline, become so.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

Wow...what happened there??

Jackson, MS
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

We just returned from SA and stayed at the Hilton. It was great. Very clean, nice friendly staff, very convenient. Rooms are a little small in my opinion, but still nice. You can park in the parking lot for $7.00 a day. It's not terribly far. We complained that we didn't want to park on the designated floors that are reserved for the Hilton, and they actually removed the parking charges from our bill. They will insist on having a bellhop unload your bags, though, so be prepared if you need to use the cart. Oh, and you have to pay extra for wi-fi use in the room. They block it out of the rooms if you don't pay extra. But, still, you can go anywhere else in the hotel and get it for free. This hotel was the best price I could find on the Riverwalk, and it didn't disappoint me at all. Be sure to take a riverboat tour. You'll get a lot of the history of the town. Be sure to ask for the history tour. Hope this helps!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Palacio Del Rio

Hershey18 thanks a lot for sharing your info, I'm sure others will find it very useful also. Glad to hear that you had a great stay at the Hilton Palacio Del Rio