We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Rio - Not any better than a tv dinner

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Rio - Not any better than a tv dinner

Lately, I've made a few posts with my opinions about local restaurants. I decided to re-visit some restaurants with an open mind to re-evaluate them. I plan on posting my results in this forum after each visit, and I look forward to comments - good or bad. ; )

I ate at Casa Rio when I was a tourist back in the 1970's and thought it was great. Now I live in San Antonio and decided to go back today for lunch....but either I know a lot more about good Mexican food these days or this restaurant has gone down hill.

The only thing good about Casa Rio is it's proximity to the Riverwalk, the friendly staff, and the salsa (which was tasty). Everything else is terrible. The chips were so hard that I thought I would break a tooth. The flour tortillas were like rubber in that I had to chew them forever. The meat taco was swimming in grease and not tasty. The refried beans were more lard than beans and not tasty. The cheese enchilada was one thick hunk of tastless yellow cheese wrapped by a corn tortilla and drowned in this awful brown gravy. The food was not any better than a tv dinner, and I would not recommend this place to anybody.

NOTE: This restaurant was packed by tourists today and was the busiest restaurant on the Riverwalk by far.....because nobody knows any better! Boudro's and other decent places hardly had anybody. A guess the name "Casa Rio" and the fun, colorful decor by the river attract the unsuspecting tourists.....who probably don't know any better. (I would imagine that Casa Rio food is better than the Mexican food you get in New Jersey or some place outside of Texas......but it's way below par for local taste.)

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Hill Counry Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Alamo Trolley Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Rio - Not any better than a tv dinner

TexasHam-

I couldn't agree with you more. I was there in March, and had the WORST fajitas (at least that is what they were passing them off to be) in my life. My group was so disappointed, as we were craving some good tex-mex that day. We will never go back!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Rio - Not any better than a tv dinner

Definitely a place to avoid. I always see people eating there and even see long lines. I suppose they go home and say they ate Mexican on the river, but the place is an embarrassment to SA.

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio