We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far to Dallas?

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
How far to Dallas?

We're staying at a B&B in San Antonio before driving to Dallas to a wedding. How long should we allow to get to Dallas, if leaving mid-morning on a Friday? Mapquest estimates 4.26 hours but they are always off a bit, when interstate travel is involved.

We're having lunch in Austin long the way, which looks like just over an hour from San Antonio - does that sound about right? Just trying to figure out if we can pick up in-laws in Dallas at the airport, who are arriving at 5 pm.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

R1lissa
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: How far to Dallas?

Four hours from San Antonio to Dallas is about right. However, I hope you're having your Austin lunch outside the city center. Austin traffic is terrible and could definately hold you up. Then once you get to Dallas, traffic through downtown Dallas to get to DFW airport could also be slow. Allow for plenty of time.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
2. Re: How far to Dallas?

OK - good to know. We're having lunch at Wild Wood Art Cafe in Austing and I have no idea where it is, though I don't think it's downtown. We're going for the gluten free fare and I think they are on the west side of Austin. I'll have to do the mapqest but in any case, I don't think picking up the in-laws is going to work out after all. Thanks for the help!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: How far to Dallas?

With traffic in Austin & Dallas area it could take 5 - 5 1/2 hours to get to Dallas, also depending on what part of Dallas you are going, cause Dallas is pretty big city, so it can make a difference in your drive time. Also for Austin due to construction you should be able to do it in 1 1/2 hours easily.

Have a great trip & a great time at the wedding in Dallas.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
4. Re: How far to Dallas?

Yeah, we can't miss Wild Wood Art Cafe for lunch. I did a mapquest and it's actually several miles off the highway so we have let in-laws know we can't get to the airport to pick them up.

Thanks everyone! Now I'm posting about places to eat in SA, in a new topic.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
802 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: How far to Dallas?

<I don't think picking up the in-laws is going to work out after all.>

I have nothing constructive to say, except I am totally LOL at your posts/situation. :D I'd better say something constructive so I don't get in trouble. ;)

I agree that you can't count on making it to Dallas. Ugh. I drove a quick jaunt up I-35 from Waco to Hillsboro today, normally about a 30 minute drive for me, and it took closer to an hour. Two accidents before I even got to West, and a horrific downpour out of nowhere slowing traffic down to 40mph. You never know what can happen.

IMO, San Antonio is about an hour and a half from Austin. It depends, of course, on your starting and ending points, but unless it's from north S.A. to south Austin, I'd say to allow more than "just over an hour".

Where in Dallas are you staying? And where are the in-laws staying? It probably is easier for all involved if they can take an airport shuttle to the hotel. Better yet, they can very easily rent a car, right?

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: How far to Dallas?

Just to add to the confusion, we do the San Antonio->Dallas drive quite often. Actually we go as far as Frisco, well north of downtown. It USUALLY takes us 4.5 hours (and we live 1/2 hr northeast of downtown San Antonio). It has taken as long as 5.5 hrs however. Construction on I-35 as you get closer to Waco and Dallas is never ending and can cause real problems. The drive is quite unpredictable, and boring as h*ll. One thing we do make sure of, and that is NEVER to be anywhere near Austin near their rush hour. Be sure to be out of there no later than 3:30. If you decide not to do lunch there, there is now a toll road around Austin that will cost some, but if traffic is bad, it will save time. It's not on the maps as it's just opening: http://www.sh130.com/ State hwy 130.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
802 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: How far to Dallas?

We drove on that toll road tonight, OO. Worth every penny. We took it going south - got off of I-35 somewhere north of Georgetown (I wasn't paying attention) and it dumped us off at 290. It cost us $3.00 in two $1.50 increments. I'll pay it again... boy did it make that a nice drive!

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
8. Re: How far to Dallas?

Wow - thanks for all the informative replies. Unless the place we want to eat at in Austin closes by Sept. we MUST have lunch there. It's 79 miles from the B&B in SA, and it's actually in the burb of West Lake Hills, Bee Cave Rd.

In-laws know we can't pick them up and are fine with it. Now we can just enjoy our long boring drive without worrying about when we arrive in Dallas. We're making a late reservation for dinner so no one has to rush for anything. We're staying at the Adolphus and so is most of the wedding party.

I think the mapquest info says it's 199 miles to the hotel, from Wild Wood Arts Cafe in Austin. We're going to assume it will take 7 hours door-to-door from SA to Dallas, having a long lunch stop and all. If it takes longer, then it does. Thanks again for all the help!

9. Re: How far to Dallas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 14:17