We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

Georgia
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

Please help me choose. We are looking for something with the WOW factor. Spectacular lobby, fountains, decorations, etc.

Help me find the most glamorous hotel on the Riverwalk. THanks.

Mentioned in this post
River Walk
River Walk
21,768 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
18,544 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

Contessa,Watermark,Valencia are three of the newer hotels and each has their own pizzazz.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Contessa
Hotel Contessa
3,389 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

The most spectacular has to be either the Watermark Hotel www.watermarkhotel.com

The Westin www.westin.com/riverwalk

Omni La Mansion Del Rio www.omnilamanision.com

Crowne Plaza SA RW www.crowneplaza.com/sariverwalk

Hotel Contessa 306 W.Market St.

I hope these meet your criteria for the most glamorous hotel on the Riverwalk, if not let us know, there are others, but only IMO these are the top notch ones. I hope you find the WOW factor for you. Have a great time in SA.

Mentioned in this post
River Walk
River Walk
21,768 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Omni La Mansion del Rio
Omni La Mansion del Rio
4,214 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Hotel Contessa
Hotel Contessa
3,389 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

Sorry I gave you the wrong website for the Omni it should be www.omnilamansion.com

This one should work, the other had an extra i.

Mentioned in this post
Omni San Antonio Hotel
Omni San Antonio Hotel
2,145 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Georgia
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

That is so funny because I had it narrowed down to exactly those four. I guess I did some good research. We just booked Hotel Contessa. Thanks for making me feel great about my final pick since it is one of the top four!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Contessa
Hotel Contessa
3,389 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Dallas
Level Contributor
140 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

I was looking at Contessa and saw they have a pay in advance rate of $168.

Does Contessa have nicest pool/fitness area of the boutique hotels (Watermark, La Mansion etc.)?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Contessa
Hotel Contessa
3,389 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

The Contessa is a nice hotel, but really is not in the same class as the Watermark or Mansion. That said, I have not seen anyone's pools or fitness rooms. That's where visitors to a city have it all over the locals. :>

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Contessa
Hotel Contessa
3,389 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Dallas
Level Contributor
140 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

Aren't Contessa rooms suites, and Watermark and Mansion more old style smaller rooms??

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Contessa
Hotel Contessa
3,389 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

Suites, yes, but not "suites" as you think of in a 4* hotel, with living/dining areas and a separate bedroom closed off from everything and mammoth marble baths. If you have a family, then it is a good arrangement. If not, and you are looking for a really nice hotel, then go with one of the 4*s, and to my mind, the Watermark is the best of the best.

The Watermark is new too, but an older building, renovated. The rooms are top notch, top of the line decor, over and above what you will find at Contessa.

Smaller isn't necessarily lower caliber. Although I've lived here 3 years now, and my DH is in the business (not Watermark! :>) my greatest familiarity is still my old stomping grounds in Tampa Bay. There, the hotel that has by far the smallest rooms is far far and away the best of them all--Don CeSar. It's all in the caliber hotel corporate is striving to create...small but elegant in this case.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Hotel Contessa
Hotel Contessa
3,389 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
The Don CeSar
The Don CeSar
4,091 Reviews
St. Pete Beach, FL
Dallas
Level Contributor
140 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

For the money, if Contessa has a waterfront room for $168 and Watermark is $368, is Watermark the better value for a long weekend?

I believe Watermark shares their facilities/fitness center with another hotel.?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Contessa
Hotel Contessa
3,389 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nicest accomadations on Riverwalk

I don't believe they do share. They've got an entire floor dedicated to their spa (allegedly the best downtown) and fitness center.

The Watermark is the only Mobil 4* hotel and spa in San Antonio. That is a tough tough star category to reach and maintain--and IMHO, means far more than AAA's 4 diamonds, an award shared by several of the downtown hotels, and for whatever reason, AAA's diamonds have far less significance here than in FL, where the diamond level meant much more and were more demanding. Here it's an amazingly wide category.

$200 is a lot of $$$ per night to be saving--only you can tell if it will be worthwhile to you. Is your room extremely important to you? Do you plan on spending much time in the hotel and the room? Public spaces and restaurants important? If so, I'd head to the Watermark. Of course my DH would hate for me to say this, but it's true...when we travel we spend practically no time in our rooms. Because of his job, we've had (great) hotels available to us our entire married life at no cost...so that may make a difference in my attitude now. To me, it's the city I'm visiting and the hotel is secondary, providing both have good locations, and both these hotels do...though I'd give a very slight edge to the Watermark as being just a bit closer to everything. Not that the Contessa is a huge walk! When we travel, we are in our room to sleep and shower and that's about it--otherwise we are up and out.

I'm sure that was little to no help! :> Really, it's all in what is more important to you and what your budget can easily sustain.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Contessa
Hotel Contessa
3,389 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio