We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott RiverCenter or Westin Riverwalk

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marriott RiverCenter or Westin Riverwalk

Hi I'm heading to San Antonio at the end of the month and I'm trying to decide on staying at one of the two hotels. Any advice which is closer to activity, which has better rooms, overall hotel ratings. I've read the reviews for both hotels on the site and they seem to be neck and neck in that regards. Has anyone stayed at either within the last couple of weeks anything happening that I should know about, construction etc....

Any information given would be appreciated.

Thanks

SJ

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott RiverCenter or Westin Riverwalk

Someone just recently stayed at the Westin and wasn't pleased: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60956-i76-k206006…

I've only heard good things about the Marriott, and I know it's closer to things such as the Alamo, RiverCenter Mall, and restaurants on the river.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott RiverCenter or Westin Riverwalk

We just returned from San Antonio and stayed at the RiverCenter.

They made us feel very, very comfortable there. I really enjoyed our stay there.

Like the previous poster mentioned, it's location is hard to beat. It's connected to the RiverCenter Mall, so you never have to actually go outside to get to the mall. There are three restaurants in the hotel (a pricey steakhouse, a sushi bar and a regular cafe-type restaurant). We only ate at the Garden Cafe once, for breakfast, but I'd recommend eating there. The buffet was delicious, and plenty of things to choose from.

The Riverwalk Cruise is just steps away from the RiverCenter, so you won't have to go far to take the tour. The restaurant district is just down the Riverwalk and the night club district is past that.

The RiverCenter also has a nice indoor/outdoor pool with two whirlpools, along with a sauna and health club.

If you can get one, try for a River view room. We had a room overlooking construction, but would have loved the River view.

I heard some good things about the Westin (mostly their beds), and they do have balconies overlooking the river, but I don't have personal experience there.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott RiverCenter or Westin Riverwalk

My wife and I have stayed just about everyplace on the riverwalk, and find the Westin to be the best of the chain hotels. I saw the post by the recent visitor who was less than pleased by the Westin, but find most, but not all of their gripes (slow drains?-come on!) to be rather petty complaints. The Marriott is large and generic, the Westin is nicer and more personable.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott RiverCenter or Westin Riverwalk

I highly suggest the Westin. The RiverCenter is nice but a little too close to the action for my taste. Have fun!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott RiverCenter or Westin Riverwalk

Thanks all for the input. I'll have to think more on it and see if being right in the middle of the Riverwalk at the Marriott is what works best for us. I'm celebrating my sweethearts birthday so a little elegant atmosphere might be better at the Westin than being right in the mix at the Marriott. We'll see who wins.

TXJ
Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott RiverCenter or Westin Riverwalk

We have stayed at the Marriot. The loby is beautiful and the rooms are fine. I was not impressed for the money. We have rented nicer suites at the Homewood Suites on the riverwalk for less money. The Westin is very pretty, however I have never been in any of their rooms. I do enjoy the quite end of the riverwalk where the Westin is located. Marriot is busier, but located close to the action. Have a fun trip. It will be great no matter which place you stay.

austin texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott RiverCenter or Westin Riverwalk

Well I guess I'm the one with the petty complaints! Just trying to give details. A number of the Westin's amenities are under renovations so if you want to use more than the room check about completion dates.

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio