We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to walk the riverwalk

Toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How long to walk the riverwalk

Hello everyone, I have been looking for information on how long it will take to walk or the approx. distance of starting the riverwalk at the convention center/Mariott Riverwalk and going right around down around the Drury Inn and back up from Biga's and back up to the Convention Center?

Is the riverwalk just on one side or is it both sides of the river have shops and restaurants?

Also down around the bend (the Drury Inn)the river goes in two seperate directions. Is it possible to jog/walk or roller blade along this area? How far does each direction go? :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

It is approx. 2 1/2 miles so it depends. I would guess probably about an hour to 1 1/2 hours depends on how fast you walk & how busy it's at the time you are there. They have a river cruise with narration that take about 35 min. Yes there are 2 sides with shops & restaurants on both sides & the river is in the middle. No roller blading & it would be hard to job with the people & restaurants unless you did it early in the morning when there isn't much traffic on the riverwalk.

Here is a website for the map of the riverwalk which may help you out.

http://www.sanantonioriverwalk.com

another good website for a map is

www.visitSanAntonio.com

I hope this helps you out & answer your question. If not just re-ask.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

sanantonioinsider.com/hotels/san-antonio-hot…

When you walk-run you should schedule a route through the King William area. Either to or from, take the natural part of the river.

The sidewalks where the shops-restaurants are not good for roller blading. The sidewalks are textured and in some places not even.

aAove post indicates the walk including the natural part of the river. The actual riverwalk will not take that long to walk or run.

3. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2008, 04:37
Toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

Thank you all for your responses!! I have visited the websites mentioned and now have a better understanding of the area as my map that I printed off was not as clear.

The area of the King William District sounds very interesting and can now clearly see that the river runs in that direction.

Can I walk to this area strictly from the path of the riverwalk? This looks like it would take a better part of the day to complete this.

Does the boat tour just go along the area of the shops and restaurants or does it go down to the King William District too?

:)

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

My suggestion would be to start at the Municipal

Auditorium (north) and you can walk the length of the river, "the horseshoe" of the riverwalk and then continue to the south to King William. If you start from the Marriott and only going southerly, you are missing 1/2 of the trail.

Near the auditorium a great place to check out is the grounds of the Southwest Craft Center. (there is stairway entrance from the riverwalk)

http://www.swschool.org/history.php

"The Ursuline Campus of the Southwest School of Art & Craft, on the National Register of Historic Places, is located on the edge of downtown San Antonio, on the scenic River Walk.

On this historic site, a convent was established in 1851, when seven Catholic nuns arrived in San Antonio to start San Antonio's first school for girls."

----

When in King William, look for the maps of the homes for a self walking tour...usually found in front of the Conservation Society home.

**try lunch or breakfast at www.guentherhouse.com

..in KW

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

river taxi, river boats do not go southerly to King William...they only travel in the horseshoe area and to the north part

Toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

Are you referring to the Municipal Auditorium by the Korean War Memorial?

Is this where the Riverwalk ends in the North?

How far into or farther South down does the Riverwalk in the King William District go? The Map that indicates the river in "blue" I can see goes to Woodward but thats it. :)

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

You can go to Guenther on the Riverwalk, although you'll have to cross to the opposite side to go that far. Otherwise you come up at the "top" of King William.

If you are interested in running, you'll need to avoid the most touristed part of the Riverwalk. You could crawl there and still pass some of the people. Sidewalks are narrow and groups have a tendency to spread themselves across the walk, making passing difficult.

I walk that area every weekend, my running days being over. There is so much congestion normally, funning would be hard. Crowds thin out down by the Westin, from which point you could begin to run, run to the King William District, run all the way down King William, across Guenther and up Madison, make another right and go down S Alamo again to Guenther. It's a fun run as there is plenty to look at along the way to take your mind off what you are doing. :>

My walk on weekends, (if you can follow this on mapqu4st or the like) starts at the Hyatt, goes along the Riverwalk into King William District, over Guenther, to S Flores and Camp where ChrisPark is, through the park, back to Guenther, crossing S Alamo to Eagleland then up and down some of the less well preserved streets, Adams and Mission, then back to the Hyatt by going back up King William then onto the Riverwalk. Even walking it's only a 2 hour trek, and close to 7 miles. Running it you'd be through in no time and will have toured one of the prettier sections of the area to boot.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

By the way, I consider that entire route to be perfectly safe for a lone female (me). If you need water or a bathroom, you can find both at ChrisPark. Read up on the park before going...a mother's tribute (Linda Pace) to her son, who died an untimely death in his 20's. It's very touching and a beautiful way to remember him.

Toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long to walk the riverwalk

Thanks "OO" I will go through your walk carefully on my map, sounds like a great walk/run!!

I hope all is well in San Antonio with "Dolly" approaching. Take care! :)