We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

Okay, I sketched out a possible itiniery for a trip to SA. I think between downtown and sights to be seen away from the city, (winery trail sounding like a very nice day long trip) I can find enough things to keep us happily busy.

But just now I did a cursory check of available hotels. It sure looks like the chances of getting a nice, centrally located hotel on the riverwalk for around $100 would be impossible. Any ideas?

And does one need to stay ON the riverwalk to really appreciate san antonio?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

If you are willing to roll the dice a bit I regularly get downtown 4 star hotels via Priceline. You won't know which hotel you are getting until after you bid but you will get a great hotel for under $100. This is predicated on you visiting at a time when hotel rooms are not at a premium...

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

Funny you should mention this....as I was thinking of maybe doing Priceline. I have used them in the past (Boston, Providence, Raleigh) and have been pretty happy with the hotels we ended up in.

I just hate to leave it to chance when it's for my husband's 60th....know what I mean? But with just coming back from an anniversary trip to New Orleans, my travel budget is a little bit tight and I know he would understand. But I would really hate to get stuck in a 'not so good place' (Darn these special occasions coming so close together!)

With priceline....when I choose "Riverwalk", would I really get a place ON the riverwalk?? ...or a few streets over??

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

Gehrig has a great suggestion. With the economy tanking, more hotels might start opening up availability to Priceline. Rarely would they free up rooms this far out though, and in any case, at this point things are still good for tourism in SA, but that can change in a nano second, and what it will look like in the end of Feb is anyone's guess, (unfortunately, for all of us!!) A healthy economy is far preferable to cheap hotel rooms!!

Are you familiar with Priceline bidding? If not, go to biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com for tips before bidding. Study it thoroughly before venturing out. Those bids, if accepted, are set in stone by Priceline, non-refundable. Can't change the date, can't change the place. I would bid only 4* Riverwalk. If occupancy drops, you should be able to hit a 4* for under $100. I wouldn't begin the bidding until Jan at the earliest, and keep bidding. A month or so out down to departure date is when you are more likely to get hits. In the meantime, to assure having a place, you can independently book a room that has no cancellation penalties someplace around the Riverwalk, canceling it if you get your Priceline hit.

Good luck!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

We were writing at the same time Galviolet. You might get a few streets over, but that wouldn't matter in the scheme of things. I certainly would not venture below 4*'s though, and you can determine which hotels you might get on the two websites I listed above. One of the Riverwalk 4*'s is the Emily Morgan, not actually on the River, but so close it wouldn't matter an iota.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
554 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

You do have to be a little careful when it says riverwalk, several years ago we booked at the 4 points Sheraton Riverwalk and it was a couple of blocks to the riverwalk.

A friend was recommending the Hotel Valencia as a good place to stay for a good price. There's a hotel that is supposed to be haunted by a lady in blue or red, either way I can't remember the name right now but I stayed there a few years ago and liked it. I've also heard good reports on the Emily Morgan as an affordable choice.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

Here is a website to check out Hot Deals on Hotels that may be of some help.

www.SanAntonio.com/hotels

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

Biddingfortravel.com will give you a list of Priceline hotels in the downtown zone. You do have to be careful because Priceline can always add hotels before they are mentioned on the forum. None of the 4 star hotels are that far from the river, all are walking distance if not actually on the Riverwalk.

8. Re: 'budget' hotels on the riverwalk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 21:17