We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Food Question-River Walk Area

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Another Food Question-River Walk Area

I did a search for topics talking about great Tex Mex restaurants to eat on the River walk, but did not really see anything so I thought I would post a new thread.

I am looking for two great places to eat on the RW.

1-A great breakfast place, that can either be your normal pancake kinda place or a great place to get breakfast tacos. They dont have to be in the same place, but giving you a better idea of what we would like. Or even a nice bagel/coffee kinda place.

2- A great Mexican restaurant, Tex-Mex kinda of place.

If you have any websites to offer with your suggestions that would be great! We are leaving this Thursday!!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

My favorite Tex-Mex in no particular order: Teka Molino- fresh ground masa deep fried shells and cups; great breakfast tacos. Taco Haven - unique shredded chicken taco with cabbage and lemon plus standard Tex-Mex fare. Picante Grill - Unique dishes including grilled items and Huitlacoche soup and casserole - try something different here.

E Chaparral http://www.elchaparral.com/ best fajitas, dine after 5pm and you get a fantastic bean soup with your meal, they also have some of the best refried beans.

Los Barrios - enchiladas featured on the Food network.

I also like Mi Tierra, it's not my favorite but we go three or four times a year to enjoy the touristy atmosphere. I find the food good, though I can't say I've had their margaritas recently. I wouldn't recommend it for this case unless you're looking for a loud touristy experience.

Breakfast - Guenther House has great breakfasts http://www.guentherhouse.com/Main.aspx, Mad Hatters http://www.madhatterstea.com/

Other spots -

Casbeers is a dive, but a great one! I like their burgers and put them at the very top. http://www.casbeers.com/

Blue Star has some great "pub" food along with their own beers http://www.bluestarcomplex.com

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

Thank so much for your detailed response. I will check out all the locations you suggested and see what sparks our interest. Again thank you.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

Great mexican food and the riverwalk do not belong in the same sentence..A couple of more very good places close to town,near my house,are Taco Taco(voted best tacos in US) on Hildebrand,El Milagrito(great barbacoa)homemade food on North ST. Mary's,Petes taco on Main, and Magnolia Pancake house(great B'fast),but not so close to town on Embassy Oaks.....

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

Yes, I have read that the two dont mix well off a few boards, but since we are staying on the RW I thought I would see what people like. I will be checking out the places you recommended, thank you.

I think I have been to a Magnolia's in Austin, although I am not sure if that would be the same as the Magnolia's pancake in SA.

Thanks again!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
43 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

Mi Tierra in the marketplace is open 24 hours, so you can party on the RW and then go there for hangover breakfast :-). It is a fun place to go on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They have an authentic Mexican bakery counter, so you can sample some Mexican pastries and cookies.

The food isn't the best in SA, but you are in Texas and we have so much good tex mex, so just about any hole in the wall you see will not dissappoint you.

If you can travel a few miles away from the RW, you will find more places, less tourist fare. Cheaper too.

Will contact some local friends for good suggestions for you.

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

Thanks for the suggestions. Being 6 months pregnant we wont be doing any partying or drinking, mostly passing out early because I cant walk anymore, lol.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
43 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

LOL! Okay, then the shopping might interest you :-)

Have fun!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

Acenar has pretty good Mexican Food on the RW www.acenar.com El Mirador is in the downtown area near the RW, www.elmiradorrestaurant.com

A good breakfast place is Guenther house you can take the trolley to the restaurant www.guentherhouse.com

or try Las Canarias at La Mansion del Rio & also there is a Starbucks Coffee on the RW.

Here is the website for the trolley

www.viainfo.net/busservice/Streetcar.aspx

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

Thanks for the websites, a trolly ride sounds fun.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Food Question-River Walk Area

At the risk of sounding like a snob, San Antonio has some of the worst food we've had anywhere in Texas. The only great meal we had was at the Watermark Hotel's "Pesca." This 5-star hotel also has a great spa, and it's right near the Riverwalk.