We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car or No Car

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
gainesville,Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car or No Car

I am still debating whether to rent a car or not. I am there for only 3 nights and plan to do a highlights of SA half tour for 1 day, and was thinking of Gruene TX is worth renting car, but again parking at Drury Inn is 18+ per night. Is there enough to do on RiverWalk? Any suggestions?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car or No Car

Unlike NYC,Boston,San Diego,San Fransisco,ets.,there really is not much happening in SA..I would opt not to rent a car..The bus system is really good here and could take you to places like the Zoo and musuem..There is an IMAX downtown..Also you may want to see a Spurs game..

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car or No Car

Is Gruene worth it? Who is playing in Gruene the night you want to you? That will determine your answer.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car or No Car

Since you'll only be here for 3 nights, I don't think it will be worth to rent a car. There is lots to do in the downtown area to keep you busy. You can use the bus or the trolley/streetcar to get around for a $1.00.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car or No Car

We get asked this a lot and it really depends on you. On any trip I take I always like having a car. In towns with a lot of congestion and good public transportation (Boston, Chicago) I'll forgo the car when staying downtown but rent one when I move out to the burbs. I have been known to rent a car for just a day or two.

Pros: Freedom to come and go on your schedule (public transportation usually stops or is greatly reduced around 10 or 11 pm. and weekends) Cheap, usually around 15 bucks a day (transportation to and from the airport is usually more than that.) Allows you to get to less touristy spots.

Cons: Parking at a downtown hotel is usually expensive, and driving in an unfamiliar city can be stressful.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,998 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car or No Car

Plenty to do in downtown without a car. Rivercenter mall has IMAX, a regular cinema. King William area-self walking tour, breakfast. Market Square-breakfast,lunch or dinner, the zoo is nearby.

chill out with a maragarita and just people watch.

Gruene is one of my favorite places. You can rent a car for the day. However, the majority of rental locations downtown tend to close early on Sat/Sun.

but they have alternative drop off places

6. Re: Car or No Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:21