We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington DE
3 posts
Save Topic
reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

We have always booked our hotel reservations directly with the hotel thereby making certain that our room is exactly what we want. But I see that what appears to be exactly the same rooms can be purchased at a discounted rate using one of the above mentioned sites. Are these rooms in a less desirable location within the hotel? How does this work? Will the hotel match these prices if you call directly? Can someone please educate me on this. I would certainly like to save the money.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,968 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

It would seem self-booking would be the best price as you are not dealing with a human (overhead). I have used hotels.com for SA. It didn't seem that I was given a less desirable room. With the economy,

I would think that occupancy is below average and they need warm bodies and thus, your room choices/provisions would be better. Maybe someone else can give you a little more insight.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

Most of the larger hotels have a guarantee that booking on their website, (not calling the hotel, but online booking) will provide the best rate with the exception of opaque bidding sites such as Priceline or Hotwire, where you don't know which hotel you are getting. The best rate online generally calls for full prepayment and is non-cancellable. (Other rates are available online, however, for those who can't commit to a specific date.) I would definitely check the websites as well as any deals through Orbitz or Expedia.

You should not be given a lesser room with expedia or Orbitz, although if the hotel is close to being full, obviously if there are better rooms, those will go to those who paid a better rate. If occupancy is down however, your room should be on a par with anyone else's.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

As mentioned above the "opaque" sites give you the best deal and the least amount of control. I use them often, because I never spend much more than sleep time in a hotel. I have always received what I expected from the star rating system. I've always received a non-smoking room. I may be on the second floor of a motel when I'd prefer a first floor, but I chalk that up to saving money.

I have never been able to match an opaque deal at that particular establishment, I have been able to get a better deal for a different venue. For example last year in Lafayette, LA I was shooting for a 4-star hotel using Priceline at around 50 dollars. I could not get one. But my back up plan was a 39 dollar 3-star (my minimum) on Hotwire. It turned out to be the Holiday Inn with an indoor pool (nice because it was Jan.)

Wilmington DE
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

Thanks to all. I am certainly going to use the online sites and save my $$.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

Not sure if I made myself clear, but I was referring to booking through the hotel's online site as being guaranteed the best price aside from opaque bidding (Hotwire and Priceline). Not all chains have that guarantee, but certainly the majors do.

Wilmington DE
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

Thanks. I did misunderstand.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

Before you book you may want to check out this website for Hot Deals

www.visitSanAntonio.com

click on SAVE then on hotels to see the Hot Deals, there has been so good rates on their plus you are booking directly with the hotel if that helps.

Have a great time in SA.

8. Re: reservations using Expedia, Orbitz, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 23:20