We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to eat within walking distance (or tolley)

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
blessedmom07
1 post
Save Topic
places to eat within walking distance (or tolley)

We will be staying at the Fairmount Hotel. Would like to hear about any GOOD places to eat that are near the riverwalk (can walk there or take trolley). Have a 1 yr old. Looking for something other than Mexican Food. I'm tired of all the River food. Italian, Chinese or any other good places. Would love to have some decent Italian- dont really like Michelina's and Paesanos is not really what I'm looking for with a toddler.I know alot of the great places are not near the riverwalk, however we prefer not to leave the riverwalk area most nights (to busy with convention activities).

Also, once we ate in a great little place that was Mexican and was on the street level. It was near one of the Rivercenter Mall entrances. We enjoyed a great breakfast and it was $. Now I can't remember where it is or the name.

Any thoughts?

TIA

BlessedMom 07

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to eat within walking distance (or tolley)

King William area has a couple of good restaurants you may like..For Italian I like La Focaccia at 800 S Alamo..For Chinese China Latina at 1014 S Alamo..I ate there a year ago and enjoyed it..Lately the reviews have been mixed,especially concerning service..With that being said I will recommend my first choice and suggest my second choice..A great steak can be had at a reasonable price at Saltgrass on the river..Fuddruckers have some very good burgers..Tony Romas very good ribs..Hope this helps..

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to eat within walking distance (or tolley)

I love Casbeers, Blue Star, Mad Hatter, and Gunther House. All are on the Blue Route

Monday - Friday 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Saturday - Sunday 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Also on the blue route Azuca, Le Frite, and the above mentioned restaurants.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to eat within walking distance (or tolley)

Could the Mexican restaurant be El Mirador www.elmiradorrestaurant.com at 722 S. ST. Mary or maybe El Chilaquil 1821 W. Commerce St 210-226-5410 or Tito's 955 S.Alamo

The Fairmount has an Italian restaurant located within the hotel Luca Ristorante Enoteca that's very good. If you are looking for good & simple Italian & reasonable, we love the food, & DH loves their spaghetti & Meatballs at Capparelli's on Main 2524 N. Main Ave @ Mistletoe 210-735-5757 a family own business that's been around since 1920's but it's nothing fancy Also on the other side of the Freeway not at but kinda near the Sunset Station area is Spaghetti Warehouse @ 1226 E. Houston St. not sure if you can get here by trolley & would be a very long walk.

Personally I've never eaten Chinese food in the downtown area so hate to make any suggestion since I've not taste it myself but you may want to take 1Life2Live suggestion on that. I'll have to give China Latina a try myself.

If you are looking for good food with a variety you may want to try Liberty Bar at 328 E. Josephine www.liberty-bar.com also there's Josephine St. Café 400 E. Josephine St 210-224-6169

For some good German sandwiches & food there's Schilo's Deli at 424 E. Commerce St 210-223-6692

There's Casbeers at 1719 Blanco Rd 210-732-3511 it on a trolley route in the King William area has a variety of foods as well.

The 1 yr old may enjoy the Rainforest Café on RW 110 E. Crockett St. 210-277-6300

I gave you the addresses & phone #, you can ask someone for directions or give the places a call & they can give you the best directions from where you are to get there. I hope this helps you out if not just re ask.

Please write a TR & let us know how it went & your likes & dislikes.

Have a great time in SA!!!!!!

4. Re: places to eat within walking distance (or tolley)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 19:19